Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) Question

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked already, if so Sorry for the repeat.

I read that the PBC locks in around 280º so it cooks faster.

Question is, can the Intake be adjusted to lower the cooking Temps down to the 225º-240º range?

From the photos, it looks like you have to loosen a bolt. So yes, but not easily. I'll have mine on thursday.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Sure. it's not something that I'd want to do during a cook, but you can move the damper to any position that you want.

Sure. it's not something that I'd want to do during a cook, but you can move the damper to any position that you want.

So is it your opinion that the PBC cooks better at a higher temp? Would you ever want to get it down to around 225º to do a Lo-n-Slo cook?

So is it your opinion that the PBC cooks better at a higher temp? Would you ever want to get it down to around 225º to do a Lo-n-Slo cook?

I've only done one cook on my PBC, so I don't have an opinion on that.

But, I don't cook below 250 on any of my cookers except to do a prime rib roast.

Anyone figger out how big that intake hole is yet?

Not sure if this has been asked already, if so Sorry for the repeat.

I read that the PBC locks in around 280º so it cooks faster.

Question is, can the Intake be adjusted to lower the cooking Temps down to the 225º-240º range?

Yes it can be. I don't do it forsake of my UDS. If I want to do a 225-250 cook then I use the UDS or my Coleman if I am only doing a small quantity cook.

That's classified information :)

And on the question of cooking temps, many people will start out at a lower temp, like 225-250 to get some smoke flavor and enhance smoke ring development. But after first hour, they will want to crank up the heat to 275-325 to power through rest of cook. This works great, and having a fixed intake doesn't help the process.

• Thanks
Reactions: jrn
Yes it can be. I don't do it forsake of my UDS. If I want to do a 225-250 cook then I use the UDS or my Coleman if I am only doing a small quantity cook.

Why, not trying to be a PITA, just trying to figure out the sudden love for the PBC, it seems to be no different than an UDS. What is all the excitement about/

• Thanks
Reactions: hav
^ I understand the intake on a PBC isn't fixed. But it's not easy to change from what I've read. You have to run out to the garage and grab a tool to move it or something..

^ I understand the intake on a PBC isn't fixed. But it's not easy to change from what I've read. You have to run out to the garage and grab a tool to move it or something..

Jeez, I cannot help myself. It appears the nut to adjust gets really hot so adjustment is hard. Why not just modify the Intake to resolve this???

Why, not trying to be a PITA, just trying to figure out the sudden love for the PBC, it seems to be no different than an UDS. What is all the excitement about/

Why use the UDS over tweaking the PBC to cook at a lower temp? ( I think that's what you are asking?? If not correct me)
The basic answer is because the UDS is a lot easier to control temp on. I just don't find a personal need to change the way my pit barrel runs. Can it be tweaked? Sure! But I don't see a need for me personally to mess with it.

Why use the UDS over tweaking the PBC to cook at a lower temp? ( I think that's what you are asking?? If not correct me)
The basic answer is because the UDS is a lot easier to control temp on. I just don't find a personal need to change the way my pit barrel runs. Can it be tweaked? Sure! But I don't see a need for me personally to mess with it.

Thanks for the response. I am having a real Hard time trying to understand the difference between the UDS and the PBC??? It just seems the only difference is the name. Matter of fact, understanding air flow, and exhaust there is very little difference between the two.

Is a 3.5" hole big enough for ya!:-D

Thanks for the response. I am having a real Hard time trying to understand the difference between the UDS and the PBC??? It just seems the only difference is the name. Matter of fact, understanding air flow, and exhaust there is very little difference between the two.

Unless you try one, you will always have that "hard time" with it. If you decide not to buy one, then you must "let it go!" You will get answers both ways on the forum, but the only answer that will satisfy you is from experiencing it.....or not.

Your description of the difference is correct. All it is, is a 30gal UDS with rebar and hooks. The PBC or Pit Barrel Cooker part of it is just the brand name. Yeah sure its a little different than a UDS because of the preset intake, but bare bones wise they are "almost" the same.

With that said, can it be changed to behave differently and achieve lower temps? Yes but that requires tweaking. The marketing strategy behind the PBC was to be 100% set and forget with no tweaking needed...which is bad for most of us on here because we are so OCD about temps and cook times. The average consumer isn't. Hopefully that helps you out a bit.. :)

Back