The 2010 Northern California BBQ Brethren Bash Photo Album and Bash Bite Collection

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Prep and travel begins this week for the October 23rd Northern California BBQ Brethren Bash and Food Feast. If you've got a picture about the actual Bash this is the place to put it.

Whether it's packing your vehicle or your suitcase if you want to share pictures and such about the Bash go ahead and start now.

Pre-Bash planning should still go in this thread...

Let the FUN begin...

Oh, I want to add, great thanks to Oakpit (Greenleaf BBQ) for providing the space and location, I hope this is as big a benefit to him as it is to us. I am looking forward to messing with his BGEs and Sole oven. And a huge shout also to Phat Matts (Charlotte and Matt) who are not only shutting down their BBQ restaurant to be there, but, hauling out their Klose rig to make sure we can get all the meat cooked. There are both Brethren businesses going the extra mile for our Bash.

Also, thanks to all the Nor Cal Brethren who have agreed to come on out and party with us, there were a couple of false starts, but, this thing looks like it is going to be incredible, in particular, Old Smoke who is providing all of the consumables, BBQ Grail and Smokejumpers who have provided both organizational help and for pushing this whole thing forward and many of the Brethren who are travelling many hours and bringing their cookers and equipment. I know Jive Turkey offered his Spicewine, which I would have loved to seen and messed up, but, I did not want him to put him out.

Now, back to the party.

Can't be attending the Bash with a dirty CrockaQue...

IMG_0007-e1287265026607.jpg

I went here:
mms_picture-2-1.jpg

Then had to make decisions:
mms_picture-1-4.jpg

It was decided! These shall be attending the bash, unless I can find the one magical flavor that I seek.
mms_picture-13.jpg

Sticky Pickles with fresh Garlic cloves!!
Manzanita wood that will be cut small for smokers.
NUTZ

Last edited:
So, we will be having a pizza oven available, I decided to make some dough. I prefer breads and pizza crusts made with a preferment, more specifically a 'fermented' (more on this to follow) poolish. Now I make beer, and am very familiar with sourdough and poolish use, I make this stuff often. Fermented is key here, I like to use a 5-day ferment, using a jar with a loose lid. This has worked hundreds of times. Who needs an airlock?

Well, me apparently, I tightened the lid a tad too much...it was hard to get off, I could tell it was close to being a bottle bomb...but I was not to be denied!

Farking fwoosh comes to mind...

PA210336.jpg

I will add, this is the smaller amount of what was left after the explosion, I now have a new shirt and pants on, the floor is mopped and the counter cleaned. All rub and spice bottles are also cleaned.

Eight 1/2 pound patties of each of these. Some interesting flavors to try...

Bash-Burger3.jpg

Bash-Burger6.jpg

Bash-Burger5.jpg

Bash-Burger2.jpg

Bash-Burger1.jpg

Bash-Burger4.jpg

I cannot attend the bash this weekend due to a catering job. I will miss meeting you all.

I am sending a "Weber" collectible cookbook from the 70's for BBQGrail to use in "Weber" memoribilia and promotion. If you do not receive this book----check Yelonutz's truck---he is the messenger.

Have a great time wish I could be there.

You trusted YeloNUTZ to deliver a collectible item? And it is in his competition trailer? The same one he fell asleep in and burned his chicken entry?

And no, I am not gonna forget that.

You trusted YeloNUTZ to deliver a collectible item? And it is in his competition trailer? The same one he fell asleep in and burned his chicken entry?

And no, I am not gonna forget that.

This is the first I have heard of it!!

NUTZ

I am gonna head to Chico and drop off "BBQGrail's" book
"Barbecuing The Weber Covered Way" this is a 1979 reprint of a 1972 edition-kinda interesting for Weber research

We've test fired the Pizza oven...
5105384959_2bffcb347c_m.jpg

Twice...
5105386421_87f99b4b8a_m.jpg

All ready to go for tomorrow!

We've got some pork shoulders underway...practicing for tomorrow. Plowboys both as a rub and as part of the injection...

5105404731_a53e34245b_m.jpg

We sort of had a pre-bash event tonight at Phat Matt's BBQ. In attendance was SmokeJumper, Old Smoke, Big Butz BBQ (all the way from Wisconsin), Ribet69, JiveTurkey, and Landarc (here seen hogging a plate of bacon-wrapped stuffed peppers).

IMG_0023.jpg

In attendance virtually was BBQ Grail, here seen pouting from a Skype window.

IMG_0029.jpg

We felt sort of sorry for him, so we let his effigy sit at the table.

IMG_0022.jpg

There were bacon-wrapped stuffed peppers and MOINK balls...

IMG_0024.jpg

And bacon wrapped hickory smoked pork loin...

IMG_0025.jpg

And burnt end potatoes.

IMG_0028.jpg

After all that, we ordered dinner. Unfortunately, no pictures were taken of the dinner or the dessert. At least not by me...

That potato was killer, it has to be one of the best things Phat Matt's has served me and that is saying something.

We've got some pork shoulders underway...practicing for tomorrow. Plowboys both as a rub and as part of the injection...

5105404731_a53e34245b_m.jpg

Sounds good Tim! The more butts the merrier! :becky:

I have the Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub in the rub & injection on 2 butts:

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

My goal is to have one done low & slow and the other hot & fast so we can have a blind taste test.

Back