• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS election time

I voted the first day. Looked at all aspects... questionnaire, past voting on issues (incumbents), if they were "yes" men (incumbents), interaction with some that I've met.

I decided only to cast one vote and that was for a rep we have gotten to know at competitions. He's a great guy with a very open and honest personality, and has always gone out of his way to be welcoming and supportive to us at competitions in Tennessee. I think he'd be a great addition to the Board of Directors, and now that elections are here I'm glad we took the time to get to know our rep.

I had never met, nor got to know any of the people in Texas that I voted for except Kay Baily who is one of my customers. I actually read what they stood for and made my decisions based on published information. I did not vote for Ted Cruz because of a lot of misgivings.

In other words, inform yourself and vote, not for just someone you know but, someone who represents the values that you respect.

I had never met, nor got to know any of the people in Texas that I voted for except Kay Baily who is one of my customers. I actually read what they stood for and made my decisions based on published information. I did not vote for Ted Cruz because of a lot of misgivings.

In other words, inform yourself and vote, not for just someone you know but, someone who represents the values that you respect.

As a matter of fact, we did read our candidate's responses to the questions. But still, we felt we learned 100 times more about his qualifications and passion for barbecue from actually seeing him work at competitions.

My wife and I voted the first day, and I totally agree with Smoke'n Ice, read the Bullsheet and vote for the candidates that you feel represent you and you feel would be best for the KCBS.

I decided only to cast one vote and that was for a rep we have gotten to know at competitions. He's a great guy with a very open and honest personality, and has always gone out of his way to be welcoming and supportive to us at competitions in Tennessee. I think he'd be a great addition to the Board of Directors, and now that elections are here I'm glad we took the time to get to know our rep.

Why only vote for one? I've heard the logic that voting a full slate (4 candidates) hurts the one you want to get in.

Let's face it, it's a odds-on candidate year to get elected. 5 empty seats and 2 incumbents running with 8 candidate total. In the past, incumbents tend to get re-elected. That's still 3 empty seats.

One vote = one seat. What about the rest?

I'm going to disagree with Candy (there's a first! :roll: ) .

If you're really convinced that there is only one or two candidates that you can support and you vote for five just to fill your ballot that actually lowers your candidates' chances. First, you increase the total number of votes cast making it harder for your guy(s) to score in the top five. Second, you're going to feel pretty stupid if one of your favorites loses by one vote - you have, in effect, voted against your own candidate.
Others are going to disagree and that's fine. The main point is this: VOTE!!!

I'm going to disagree with Candy (there's a first! :roll: ) .

If you're really convinced that there is only one or two candidates that you can support and you vote for five just to fill your ballot that actually lowers your candidates' chances. First, you increase the total number of votes cast making it harder for your guy(s) to score in the top five. Second, you're going to feel pretty stupid if one of your favorites loses by one vote - you have, in effect, voted against your own candidate.
Others are going to disagree and that's fine. The main point is this: VOTE!!!

Also if you want to get rid of incumbents the best thing to do is vote for all new people.

Damn, there were 5 votes? I f'd that up then...

Who is going to be the new president? I bet I could guess

I believe we also need another cooks vote back on the board. And you gave served your time! :p. Thank you

It's been the pattern for a cook to be president and I hope that trend holds for 2014. Tony Stone, Mike Lake and I have all been cooks. Tony and Mike have also been contest reps and CBJ instructors. I'm slow -- just made master CBJ last month!

YankeeBBQ. He would be wicked cool.

Sorry Steve... :razz:

I don't cook KCBS (yet), just amateur events, but I am a certified judge. I voted. I read the Bullsheet very well. This is my boring reply. :bored:

Back