Insight into NC BBQ contests (specatator perspective)

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
I'm moving to NC soon..... decided to check out the contest listings on KCBS site to get more familiar with how many contests are in the state no plans to get back into competing again, just to ID which might be ones I could might be best to take wife/daughter to for something to do one day over a weekend..

was familiar with a few like like Tryon, Lexington etc from the forum posts over the years...Looking to ID which events are larger in size, nice overall atmosphere, more family-friendly (vendors, other events tied in etc...)

Thanks in advance !

Check out HogFest in Edenton NC. They have a car show along with a whole hog contest. Judging is by spectators so you may be able to be part of that. They have some kid actitives as well. Look up Hogfest Edenton online for more info.

I don't know of any events you will not have a good time at though.

MOST of the competitions here in NC are fairly large and each has it's own unique perspective. If you like Harley's, then check out Hog Happenin in Lincolnton; family fun is good at Eastern Carolina BBQ ThrowDown in Rocky Mount; Hog Happening in Shelby is large and also has a car show; the contests in the mountains have their special music and fun; and others have their own flavor. ALL of them are GREAT!!!
You should enjoy any of them!

In addition to KCBS contests, there is also an MBN contest in Charlotte; a NCBS contest in Cary; an SBN contest in Spruce Pine; and 20+ NCPC contests all over the state! LOTS of BBQ contest opportunities!!! Each being a festival in their own right!

+1 for Hog Happening in Shelby. Tryon is also very good to go to as it is large and a lot things for the family to do. Welcome to NC.

Tryon had a pretty big festival with kind of a local town fair atmostphere. With rides and stuff.

a NCBS contest in Cary;

I would stay away from this one if you are looking for a family atmosphere. Unless your family likes drinking beer and bourbon!

The event is a side event to the Beer, Bourbon, BBQ festival. Costs in the area of $50 per person to get in and you get to drink all of the beer and bourbon you can handle from 12-6. If you want BBQ, you pay. Kids can come but the promoter discourages it since there is absolutely nothing for them to do.

As a competitor, I'm still not sure about this event. Did it last and just seemed like a cluster. I think we will give it another shot this year but if its the same we'll drop it.

Welcome to the quaint little town that isn't any longer.... :wink: We lived there for 12-13 yrs.. When we first moved there, it was a nice quiet town where everyone knew everyone, and everyone waved at everyone.... 4 lane roads, the only one was I-77...

Anyway, back to BBQ...

Tilley Harley Davidson in Salisbury has a GREAT event... Right off I-85, can't miss it. We cooked there last year, and it was a blast. September of every year.

Rocky Mount has a GREAT family event also. October of every year.

Kannapolis is having their first one this year. Not sure what all they are going to have, but Kannapolis usually has lots to do for family.

Apex had a SUPER event last year, and looks like another one this year... we cooked it last year (their first one) and had a blast... family time for sure.

Hope this helps some.

Which part of NC are you relocating to. Some of us may have contacts that can assist?

Hogfest is not KCBS anymore. It's a whole pig contest with the NCPC. Not sure if it will have the car show. Beautiful town though. ...I grew up there. I hear Rocky Mount is a great contest

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

You cant go wrong with Kings Mountain, Lexington, Tryon and Shelby. Everything else is playing second fiddle.

Back