Pit of choice for competition

Get a Spicewine Medium and you can hold temp with ease so you can sleep at a contest. It is built like a brick chit house and will probably last you a lifetime.

FEC100 and FEPG500, good to go. Still have 19" bullets that I use if traveling light with just a bumper buddy. Three fit perfect as long as you tie them down properly and don't drag them for quarter of a mile. They develop road rash on their lids but, you can buy replacement tops :-D

That's my exact arsenal. Cookshack puts out some fantastic products. I did sell my WSM away a while back though.

For some reason I morally oppose Pellet poopers yet I find no issue with controlling a guru through wifi while laying on the couch. Some day Ill come to grips and officially become the laziest man in BBQ

We have been using my Lang 84 but really want to switch to my Spicewine. I'm saving my pennies for a trailer so it can be mounted and we can get some sleep during comps. Feeding sticks every half hour is getting old or maybe it's just me getting old.

FEC100 is a bargain when looking to both cooking space and ease of use. But since it uses wood pellets instead of real wood said:
What would be your best guess as to what pellets are made of? Suggesting that pellets are not real wood and that pellets cookers do not put as much smoke flavor into the product is simply "NOT TRUE!"

Also, many TOP teams are using pellet cookers for some or all of there comp meats and there are many pellet cookers out there, not just FEC.

if i had my druthers it'd be two backwoods chubby G2's, or humphry's.

-solid build
-rock steady temps for long periods of time
-very fuel efficient
-capable in all weather
-compact, "lightweight"
-having two allows for versatility and ample space
-can fire up just one at home for practice, or both if cooking for a large crowd

Last edited:
MAK 1 Star, MAK 2 Star, Backwoods G2 Chubby mounted on the porch if an Extreme BBQ Trailer!

I compete with one Yoder 640 and two Broil King Kegs ... could get away with only one Keg instead of two if I really wanted two.

Good thread. I don't know if this has been asked before, either, but this may be a sticky-worthy discussion.
When you guys post your favorite pits, try and say why you like them too.

Arlin

Used to cook on a Ole Hickory CTO.
Great cooker, but a PIA to load & unload when all you have is a small flatbed trailer with a grated ramp.

The Jambo came last Memorial Day.
Rock solid and reliable.
We set the exhaust damper and door once we get the small fire in it and it holds like a champ.
Very quick to recover when we do have to get into it so much.
For a stick burner (I own another one that I use at home), it's odd that you just don't have to worry about it.

PLUS, last year we had a couple of contests where we had to do some emergency re-wiring on it because the fan stopped working. THAT freaked us out. It's nice to be completely independent of any power needs with the Jambo too.

We cook the big meats at one temp and then after wrapping, we drop the temp down 25 degrees for the ribs and chicken. All it takes is a quick adjustment on the stack. Uses surprisingly little fuel for the cook too.

if i had my druthers it'd be two backwoods chubby G2's, or humphry's.

-solid build
-rock steady temps for long periods of time
-very fuel efficient
-capable in all weather
-compact, "lightweight"
-having two allows for versatility and ample space
-can fire up just one at home for practice, or both if cooking for a large crowd

+1 on this. The exact direction I am going.

We'll be using two 22.5 WSMs with the Cajun Bandit Stacker in our first comp.

They're relativly cheap. They hold temp well, and need very little tampering when compared to most off sets. If I need insulation, I've found that a water heater blanket works wonders. They transport easily enough in the back of the BAV (Big A** Van).

One of these days I might be able to afford something nicer but I do have a soft spot for the WSM.

We just added the G2 Chubby. We love the Gater. Once going with the guru it's set it and forget it, not to mention it cooks great. We haven't done too bad with it either!
Chubby and Gator.jpg

Gateway Drums. I like my first one so much, I just ordered another. Truly effortless to hold a temp and the flavor is second to none!

Back