• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

60 gallon air compressor tank build

Just an update here.
Going to pick up the rest of the metal for the cooking grate, firebox grate and lower shelf today.
With any luck, my boy and I will get this all welded up tomorrow and get this thing painted sometime next week.

I can't wait to get to season this smoker and get a good cook going!!

Thanks guys, you know I just threw that out there to increase the anticipation :laugh:

Just checkin in. It is really coming together and is gonna cook great. I'm sure you have already considered some kind of bracing on the legs - In my experience some angle iron and an expanded metal shelf will stiffen it right up plus you can stack a couple splits next to the firebox to pre-heat before adding to the fire.

Edit: wish you could deliver hay to Florida; that's my job next week - gettin round bales in the pole barn for the winter.

Picked up angle and expanded metal for the leg supporting lower shelf today!
Great minds........

Wish I could deliver some down to you too. Now that would be a vaca with a friend and some fine a** Q and great time I'm sure.

Well my boy and I got a few more things done today.
We welded in the angle for guides on the fire box and the slide out grate.

picture.php

And got the bottom shelf and the guides for the cooking grate as well as the grate done.

picture.php

Now hopefully Monday I can pick up the pipe I need for the hinges and get the doors mounted and the vent for the firebox cut in and finished.
Then it'll be painting time!

Thanks for lookin in and following our build.

Very nice Dave! Did you put a cross brace on your cook shelf? I'd suggest one before you get that thing all smoked up. Just for those times where your going to put 4 20lb turkeys or whole hog on there. I've found the expanded metal will sag a bit over time with the added weights.
Just a thought.

Thanks, yeah I've considered it and will add a 1/4"x1 1/2" flat stock on the center.
It's actual size is 19"x39".
Appreciate any and all input

Looking good guy! We just had a compressor die on us a couple of weeks ago at our shop and I have been thinking of doing something with it. Now I know I want to. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks!!
If I were to do this again I'd cut one of the ends off where the firebox would be. It would be much easier and there would be less wasted space to heat.

Anytime J-Rod, I'm just about always around. Let me know a day ahead or so and we'll get it going and have some Q while you're here.

Thanks, yeah I've considered it and will add a 1/4"x1 1/2" flat stock on the center.It's actual size is 19"x39".
Appreciate any and all input
You might be better off with round stock/re-rod etc as that 1/4 flat stock is not rigid enough for what you want it to do, take a 3ft piece and watch how much you can flex it. You can't do that with round stock or re-rod anywhere near as much and your only using it for support. IMHO. If you have a brake you can bend sheet metal into a channel and it will be twice as rigid as the flat stock and not weigh much.

Or use angle iron in an inverted 'v' shape.
The only problem I've seen is using that as a brace, it is wide enough it blocks the smoke and color much more than something smaller. But will work. 1/2 square tubing would work also, again can block more than the rod.

Back