• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just the flat according to Dr. BBQ?

Two years ago when I quit putting in burnt ends in the box my scores went way up and I was a lot more consistent. As far as cooking the point at home........not at my house. I can't stand to eat brisket. I don't even taste it at comps. My wife tells me which one to put in the box.

I took your advice and skipped burnt ends last week. Night and day improvement in score. Definitely not doing them again....well still doing them for handing out and snacking but seriously doubt they will ever go into a box.

Two years ago when I quit putting in burnt ends in the box my scores went way up and I was a lot more consistent. As far as cooking the point at home........not at my house. I can't stand to eat brisket. I don't even taste it at comps. My wife tells me which one to put in the box.

I took your advice and skipped burnt ends last week. Night and day improvement in score. Definitely not doing them again....well still doing them for handing out and snacking but seriously doubt they will ever go into a box.

lets not call them burnt ends anymore! burnt ends are the BURNT ENDS of the flat. competition burnt ends are, and should be called carmelized point cubes. that is what they are! i think they are the thighs of the brisket catagory. if you turned in real burnt ends i wonder what the result would be.
<nit mode>
Fixed your post. Deckle is found on the underside of the flat. There is no deckle on a #120 packer.
</nit mode>
:wink:

Really? :doh: I'm also a convert to H&F brisket and cook whole 12#-15# packers. IMHO brisket point, when done right, is the best beef you can get out of a smoker, period! I don't doubt it would make great burgers but given the choice of a good burger or brisket point fresh out of the cooker, I'll go with the brisket point every time! Just my $0.02.

Really!!

Roll with what works for you. I'll happily do the same.

I don't understand why more teams don't concentrate on the point, cooked to perfection has a flavor that knock the socks out of flats...

- Taste better
- Has all of the flavor with the marbling
- Stays moist
- Has the better bark

I have turned I cubed point only and did very well without any flat in the box...
Turned in the box as a chaos theory, not lined up all in a row...

I believe point, cooked properly, will win a contest for the ones who perfect cooking the point properly...
:clap2: I agree whole heartily.

In my worthless opinion, the point burnt ends are amazing when done right. However, I don't believe the "average" KCBS judge understands what they are or appreciates them. Thus, if slices are good I don't include burnt ends. If slices are off and the burnt ends are absolutely perfect, they might go in the box.

Back