• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Commercial Rubs

TexasGuppie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Okay...I've gone the route of spending gagillions of dollars at Restaurant Depot for bulk spices for the purpose of making my own rubs. I've bought all of the "Rubs" books and even consulted with a local Witch Doctor in the pursuit of "THE" rub.

I GIVE UP!!!

Brethren: Lead me down the path to "RUB RIGHTEOUSNESS." Please give me your recommendations for COMMERCIALLY PREPARED rubs for the following:

• Brisket
  • Pork Butt
  • Chicken
  • Ribs
-Puzzled Guppie in Tucson

I don't have any "go to" rubs. But I am fond of Ployboy's Yardbird rub for chicken and it's great on pork also. Pork butt I usually stick with Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Havn't settled on a favorite for brisket and ribs. But I'm a backyarder and like to try different rubs.

I'll third the Plowboy's and second the Dizzy Pig array.

I'm asking for Spicewine's rubs for my b-day. :cool:

I'm always cautious about the ingredient list in commercial rubs. So many of them have an abundance of MSG or similar stuff. I figure I like to eat quality meat - so put quality rubs on them... I prefer to mix my own. But in a pinch will combine some simple flavors that naturally fit with the meat.

1 pt ground herb of choice - I prefer thymes like lemon, etc
2 pts garlic powder
2 pts oinion powder
1 pt ground ginger
1 pt cumin
1 pt fennel salt (I love this stuff on just about any meat - it's great)
1 pt ground black pepper

I'm always cautious about the ingredient list in commercial rubs. So many of them have an abundance of MSG or similar stuff.
That's why I like the rubs from the guys here (Plowboy/SW) and the Dizzy crew.

Second for Texas BBQ Rub. I use it for brisket and ribs if I don't make my own. It is still cheaper to make your own, but sometimes convenience (or laziness) wins out.

Don't give up just yet. I feel your pain...been there, done that. In the end I just purchased several commercially available rubs and tried them (they all had very similiar ingredients). Picked the things I liked about each rub and adjusted my "base rub" accordingly. I ended up with a superb product. I didn't want to put myself in a position where I relied on someone elses product. I was afraid that it would disappear from store shelves and I would be hosed. Once you get your BBQ tasting how you like it........it would suck to have the commerically available rub, sauce, marinade, etc. disappear and your back to square one again. Good Luck!

This would be my list for commercial rubs:

Chicken - Plowboy's Yardbird
Ribs - Plowboy's Yardbird or Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust
Butt's - Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust with some salt added
Brisket - Spicewine's Heffer Dust or HomeBBQ.com Beef Rub

All of them are quality rubs with quality ingredients.

Here's my 2 cents...
  • Brisket ... Dizzy Pig "Cowlick" (add turbinado sugar)
  • Pork Butt ... Dizzy Pig "Dizzy Dust" (coarse)
  • Chicken ... Dizzy Pig "Swamp Venom" or "Ragin' River"
  • Ribs ... Dizzy Pig "Dizzy Dust" (regular)
I'm a big Dizzy Pig fan...it's pretty much all I use at home. They are all natural and full of flavor. Good Luck! :p

Wolf rub is great on pork, Pig Powder is also good. I make my own for chicken and brisket.

We like to use Plowboys on Chicken, Pork, Ribs and things like fish, frys, eggs, popcorn.

We like Plowboys new beef rub, soon to come. We also like The Slabs products, beef, pork, & chicken rubs and there sauce is awesome too.

Plowboys on chicken or pork.

Get the book Peace love and barbecue and read about rubs.

Commercial seasonings preferences in my opinion:
Chicken: Plowboys Yardbird.
Ribs: Spicewine's Hen and Hog Dust
Brisket: Spicewine's Heffer Dust or Fiesta extra fancy Brisket Rub, it's a toss up.
Butt: I have not found a commercial rub to equal my own sweet and savory so no suggestion.

Don't give up just yet. I feel your pain...been there, done that. In the end I just purchased several commercially available rubs and tried them (they all had very similiar ingredients). Picked the things I liked about each rub and adjusted my "base rub" accordingly. I ended up with a superb product. I didn't want to put myself in a position where I relied on someone elses product. I was afraid that it would disappear from store shelves and I would be hosed. Once you get your BBQ tasting how you like it........it would suck to have the commerically available rub, sauce, marinade, etc. disappear and your back to square one again. Good Luck!
This is the way I think, too!
I much prefer to have my 'que rubs homemade, then I am not dependent on finding commercial stuff in a pinch.
I do buy the commercial stuff sometimes to see which way America's tastes are leaning, and for ideas to incorporate in my rubs.

I've been meaning to give this one a try. How would you describe the flavor?

Spicewine's heffer dust has an excellent balance of flavors that I like. Not too much of anything.

The Fiesta Brisket seasoning is long on salt and pepper, kind of sweet too. I like it as a locally available commercial rub.

I tend to buy alot of different rubs, like to try them all. Lately I have been buying the same ones because we have really been enjoying the results.

Chicken - Plowboy or Head Country
Ribs - Maries Gourmet Cherry Rub
Butt - Bad Byron Butt Rub
Brisket - Texas BBQ rub original

Spicewine's heffer dust has an excellent balance of flavors that I like. Not too much of anything.

The Fiesta Brisket seasoning is long on salt and pepper, kind of sweet too. I like it as a locally available commercial rub.
Thanks for the description. Might have to have this delivered with my new Spicewine rig that is on order.

Back