• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Getting snobbish about our BBQ

...I think food is only a part of BBQ. The gathering of friends and loved ones, as well as making new friends, is a huge part of the deal IMO.

New guy talking here so...

I 100% agree with you statement. I BBQ for the people who sit with me around a table or are in my yard for the friendship and fun... besides who can really eat 3 racks, a 9 lb butt, and a S**t ton of ABT all by themselves. It is the process of making it, the time invested and the fellowship involved that is making this an amazing experience.

I have a re-union this weekend. I told my wife I was going to do two butts, a chicken and some ABT's. She questioned me on why so much? No real reason, just because I can and I want to share with everyone. This is what I enjoy. I was tasked with bringing side dishes... I think some pulled pork, ABT's and chicken are great side dishes to hotdogs and hamburgers... IMHO.

+1 on what all are saying above. I've seen people here post that they won't go to family gatherings because the bbq didn't meet thier requirements to be considered BBQ. Aw come on, it's a social gathering for family to get together and have a good time. One bad rib from uncle Fred wouldn't kill you!

Last thanksgiving there was a guy on another forum moaning big time about having to eat dry turkey at his In-laws. This went on for a page or two with everyone else chiming in until one member pointed out he was eating a MRE turkey dinner in a ditch in Afganastan for thanksgiving, and that he would love to have dry turkey with family.

Enjoy the company, don't critique the food!

Chris

I think this thread is spot on in so many ways!

Having grown up in the south during what I call my "formative years"(NC specifically, ages 9 to 18) you are taught from a very young age that the 'que of that region is the best compared to any where else...and I believed it. That is, until I joined the service and traveled not just this country, but many others. I soon realized that there is good 'que every where. It's called many different things, but it really means the same thing. Good food (and good beer) among good friends, and even family:razz:!!!

It's the journey, not necessarily the destination!!!

Last edited:
+1 to everyone's post. Can I now "safely" say that I plan to make a brisket point and cook it in my chili? Just kidding :laugh:

I soon realized that there is good 'que every where. It's called many different things, but it really means the same thing. Good food (and good beer) among good friends, and even family:razz:!!!

And as most know in the south life dosen't start in the spring.....it breathes it's first breath in the fall, and I'm counting the days till friends come over for the first fball games....I'll write more on this later, but I totally agree with the above quote......JMHO

+1 on what all are saying above. I've seen people here post that they won't go to family gatherings because the bbq didn't meet thier requirements to be considered BBQ. Aw come on, it's a social gathering for family to get together and have a good time. One bad rib from uncle Fred wouldn't kill you!

Last thanksgiving there was a guy on another forum moaning big time about having to eat dry turkey at his In-laws. This went on for a page or two with everyone else chiming in until one member pointed out he was eating a MRE turkey dinner in a ditch in Afganastan for thanksgiving, and that he would love to have dry turkey with family.

Enjoy the company, don't critique the food!

Chris

Count your blessings, brethren. :smile:

This one of those threads that could get really big. A lot of discussion that hits close to home. A thread that really makes you think and that most here can add to. Thanks again. I think the bbq part of what we do is the least important part of what we do here.

I'm relatively new to BBQ and recently joined the Forum. In my limited time with the Forum, I have learned a great deal and enjoyed a few chuckles. Even though I have been only BBQing\Smoking over the past two years, I have become very passionate about the "art" of BBQ. Living in Maine, BBQ is a bit of an anomaly. Most folks up here think BBQ is cooking on a gas grill smothered in BBQ sauce -that's not criticism, it's just a matter of truth.

When I serve up real smoked BBQ for my friends and family, their pleasure can be seen all over their face and fingers. Although I really enjoy the BBQ cooking process, the joy I bring to others through BBQ is priceless. To me, that's the true joy of BBQ.

I wrote the original passage that this thread is based on, yet somehow I missed in when LD reposted it. I am sad to say that my friend passed on last fall, after living nearly a year longer than he was supposed to. He was a great guy who wore a smile until his dying day.

Although pretty much everyone here takes their Q seriously, I think most recognize that Q'ing is really just an excuse to share time with friends and family. Don't ever forget that.

Sorry for your loss David. But I am proud to know you through this forum! I will never forget! Friends and Family and Fun! If not.... I don't do it!

While there is no one true way in Q, this may be the one true way in life

anytime I cook back home I always make lots of extra, we eat our fill, give the rest to family, and neighbors. It has broughy us closer to the neighbors, something that has been very important now that I work away form home for months at a time, I been home 6 days this year so far...

The neighbors have all chipped in to help my wife with yard maintenance and offered to be there if anything is needed.

I could have been selfish and kept the leftovers to myself, but why? my freezers are full, and the 2 of us can only eat so much BBQ each week. T

Swine- I am so sorry that you lost your friend. It leaves an emptiness that will always be there - even it's just a little bit.

Experience tells me that if you cook a comp and leave without making friends with at least one team, something is wrong.

We're small time competitors, and we've taken home medals or ribbons from just about every comp we've cooked.

But they don't mean jack squat compared to the friends I have made through this sport of BBQ. When I choose to no longer compete, the ribbons tatter and fade, and our successes forgotten by all but me, I will still have those friendships and memories to cherish. This is what matters.

My dad passed away 6 months ago at 68. 3 months earlier We drank beer together at Buffalo Wild Wings at Zonerosa in Kansas City. My adoptive dad is fighting intestinal cancer and my mother is fighting Uterus cancer. My cousins brother just got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My mother in law just died of brain cancer in January this year at 68 years old. I am 43 and 1 year ago I was 18 if you know what I mean. Life is too short people!

Sometimes I post stuff here and think how stupid it may sound but in the end it really doesn't matter. I enjoy all the people here. You guys are truly a class act. I just helped a buddy burn and build a UDS today and it was all for the fun of getting a newbie involved.

Last edited:
I've read many different threads over the years about how folks now know what truly good BBQ is and the techniques used to make and server quality Q and then get disgusted with others who boil ribs or cook crock-pot butts, or dont want to eat at restaurants any longer, etc.

My father was a "griller", loved his Pork steak, taught me how to do it his way, liked them burnt some and I still do them the same way, 44 years later.

He also "boiled" his ribs before throwing them, well gently laying them on the gas grill, they were pretty tender from the hot water at that point. Thats just the way he did it and they were good.

Open Pit was his favorite sauce, and I still use it sometimes.

I lost my father in 1994. I would LOVE a plate of his boiled then grilled ribs, a few beers and a conversation.

Sorry for your loss David.

Wows...really makes you take a step back and look at it. Before everyone was doing it for money, or fame, or whatever there driving motivation. I am not saying that everyone is that way. But to take a look at the true origins of bbq, why we do it...This was a great thread in 2012 and an even better one in 2014. I am sorry for everyone's loss. I truly appreciate the sincerity of this forum and the guys on it. I have learned about a lot more than just good bbq here.

Back