• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I Should Have Known...

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, there is this BBQ joint in Indy not far from my house. I hear people talking about how amazing it is, so I thought I would drop by and order a small rib tip box with sauce on the side. I won't name the place because I am not in the habit slamming BBQ joints, but if this is what people consider amazing BBQ then I would hate to have some of the stuff that is just OK! Now I'm hawngry for some real BBQ, so I will just have to break open one of my vacuum seal packs and make myself a snack.

I hear you. Once you make your own it is very hard to buy it. Very few place (where I live) make anything decent. Most people judge BBQ by the sauce and don't even care about the meat...???!!!

^^^ True.
Fortunately there is a place not too far from me if I am looking for Q and don't feel like cooking...

there's only famous daves by me.

The 10 years I was up in Indy for the F1 races, other than the track and my hotel on South East Street, I couldn't make it to anywhere but Broad Ripple every night every year.......not exactly sure why...:wink::wink::wink:

I hear ya Tony. My co-workers swear by Dickey's BBQ Pit, and just can't understand why I won't try it. Nothing against the place, just have no desire to try it.

Matt

I was at a soccer event and there was a guy catering pulled pork. I heard people say" wow this is really good!" so like a dummie I had to go try it:doh: When I got to the window I asked where his smoker was and he said he smoked off site( That's a no no in this state) and I said oh, ok. Walked around back after i paid and I'll be darned.... GFS boxes of pulled pork layin' right there!!

IU grad here. I don't think I ever ate bbq anywhere in the state of Indiana!

Thankfully I run a restaurant and don't have to worry about bad BBQ.

This is not meant in any way for you specifically, as I've heard others sing your praises, but your statement brings up an interesting point I think. How did so many BBQ joints become so average? I have a hard time believing that people got into the Q business without thinking their BBQ was really really good.

I guess I wonder if it becomes a problem of scale. Can people just not handle the sheer volume of the cooks and keep quality? Do they start off high then slowly sink due to apathy?

It just seems like this is a common theme but I can't believe so many people would gamble so much with only average product. I can understand it from some of the chains. There mission is to appeal to as many people as they can while offending absolutely nobody. But mom and pop joints see, to fall by the wayside just as much.

I was at a soccer event and there was a guy catering pulled pork. I heard people say" wow this is really good!" so like a dummie I had to go try it:doh: When I got to the window I asked where his smoker was and he said he smoked off site( That's a no no in this state) and I said oh, ok. Walked around back after i paid and I'll be darned.... GFS boxes of pulled pork layin' right there!!

Yikes! :shock: That is seriously messed up! The stuff I had today was obviously previously unsold, day-old BBQ. These guys are never sold out so that should have been a clear sign to stay away!

This is not meant in any way for you specifically, as I've heard others sing your praises, but your statement brings up an interesting point I think. How did so many BBQ joints become so average? I have a hard time believing that people got into the Q business without thinking their BBQ was really really good.

I guess I wonder if it becomes a problem of scale. Can people just not handle the sheer volume of the cooks and keep quality? Do they start off high then slowly sink due to apathy?

It just seems like this is a common theme but I can't believe so many people would gamble so much with only average product. I can understand it from some of the chains. There mission is to appeal to as many people as they can while offending absolutely nobody. But mom and pop joints see, to fall by the wayside just as much.

It's an every restaurant thing. A few people tell them how good they are. They cut a few corners and people are still saying good things. It does not take many years to start sucking. It's just easier.

Even sooner if you start subpar.

only get the hot links at dickeys. brisket is usually dry and flavorless.

We have a place in Milwaukee that is pretty popular for having 'great ribs'. The problem is that they use super lean, non-hormone, etc. pigs. Berkshire. The ribs are like trying to eat a piece of bacon with a bone in the middle. I get the allure and the price, but it really is pork jerky because it is so terribly lean. So, they've done the 'right' thing by locally sourcing, yadda yadda, but the end product is making people think ribs should be like that. Lean and dry.

I thought I didn't like BBQ, until I started cooking my own. I've never been in a BBQ restaurant that was more than barely passable. That includes the one in my hometown that is an area favorite and award winner.

So, there is this BBQ joint in Indy not far from my house. I hear people talking about how amazing it is, so I thought I would drop by and order a small rib tip box with sauce on the side. I won't name the place because I am not in the habit slamming BBQ joints, but if this is what people consider amazing BBQ then I would hate to have some of the stuff that is just OK! Now I'm hawngry for some real BBQ, so I will just have to break open one of my vacuum seal packs and make myself a snack.

Just out of curiosity, what was bad about the BBQ from that joint? I think I make some damn good bbq, but whenever I taste someone elses bbq or restaurant bbq I keep an open mind. Different flavors combinations/profiles and different techniques. I have had some damn good que, some pretty good que and some terrible bbq in my area. When people ask my opinions about certain bbq places, I will give them a a review of the place other than, "it is good" "the place sucks" etc. I give the good and the bad opinions of each place.

Normally, I'm like my fellow Farkers. I can que it...and it'll be better than what I can buy.
However...as a family of 3 (sometimes 4 when the college boy comes home), we have a Famous Dave's by us. And the Trash Can and 1/2 trash can lid is a pretty good value.
You get to sample a little of everything and good portions for all.

I know how long it'd take me to make each and every type of meat on that lid...
Plus...their jalapeno mac n Cheese is excellent.

We have quite a few good BBQ joints within a 20 mile radius...and I always prefer my own que, but sometimes it's nice to not create a mess, not have to prep...and not have to clean up.

Back