What's your number one bbq / grilling no no?

True!

Lucky, had it closed up except the lid was off a bit. Just a small bit of smoke that you could smell in the laundry/entry. Good lesson at a good price.

Honestly, I'm glad you and the family are ok. Even in this area where it's rarely very cold, we have 2 or 3 house fires from either the grill/smoker right up next to the house or inside the garage... It happens much more than anyone would like to admit.

My only rule is no cooking barefoot when using wood or coals. I learned that lesson the hard way when I stepped on a small piece of lit charcoal that fell out of the chimney when I was getting a fire going. Deep second degree burns and it took months to fully heal. Terribly painful, and made it extremely difficult to walk. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

When making beer and bourbon chili in a cast iron dutch oven on a charcoal grill, ADD THE BOURBON LAST.

While the huge fire ball looks cool from a distance, it will scare the crap out of you when you are standing inches from the grill.

Just another thing in life I had to learn the hard way.

Would have loved to have seen the look on your face for that one.

I've learned to always take my time with it. If I try to rush, I make mistakes, or forget something. Now, I only smoke when I have nowhere else to be, and nothing else that's gotta get done. I just try to have fun with it. :grin:

i was waiting for this .. i watched in horror this weekend as someone smashed the holly juices out of burgers on the grill... they are supossed to be plump and juicy.. dont like it.. eat a salad hippy

Leaving steak on beyond 130f and chicken above 150f.
John

Back