Wildomar Ultimate BBQ Turn In Boxes

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I showed you all of the practice, This is what went in the boxes. Let me know how you would judge the appearance of these and I will post the actual scores a little later.

SDC11163.jpg

SDC11164.jpg

SDC11165.jpg

SDC11166.jpg

SDC11167.jpg

So what do you think?

Chicken- 9. I guess I'd take off for all of them not being "perfect" in shape.

Ribs- 9. I'd take off some for the white area on the left of the lower pieces.

Pork- I wanna hit you hard because there's no pulled in the box, but I don't know how ya'll do things in the wild, wild, west. We'll go 9, 8 if that is some silver skin/connective tissue on that chunk on the left.

Brisket- 9 I think you could get a 10 if the slices were wider and the burnt ends were more plentiful and piled in the rear.

The layout on each is fine. My only suggestion is less sauce. Everything is coming off too shiny, like they were all dipped in high sheen wax. Maybe its the camera, but worth thinking about.

Brett

We were really pressed for time with the brisket because I wasn't happy with it at all. Got it in with 12 seconds to spare.

If I were judging those boxes and taken into consideration that I would only have about 3-5 seconds to see them I would give you the following scores on appearance:

Chicken - 9, looks really good. Some of the pieces are a little off but that is ok. As mentioned they might be a little over sauced.

Ribs - 9, again it looks heavy on the sauce. It may be the pics...

Pork - 9 I like it!!

Brisket - 8 maybe 9, a few of the burnt ends are not all facing the same way and the back pieces on the slice look like they could use a little spritz, look a little dry.

All of them look really good to me!!

Chicken a 9 for sure.
Ribs a 8. missing sauce on the two left ribs.
Pork a 8, maybe a 9. A little more of the chunked meat would help
Brisket 7 maybe 8. Looks a little ragged, uneven. keith

Chicken - 9 - Nice uniformity and very appetizing and not over-sauced for appearance purposes in my opinion.
Ribs - 9 - Near textbook. Good job!
Pork - 9 - In this area, we're used to seeing pulled in the box but the meat you're presenting looks fantastic.
Brisket - 8 - Slices aren't as uniform enough to warrant a 9 and the ones in the middle look a tad dry. Sounds like you already knew that though.

Chicken - 9 Looks great to me
Ribs - 9
Pork - 8 Something just looks wrong with the sliced pork
Brisket - 7 Very obvious you were in a hurry. Some of the slices look 'torn'.

Regardless of how I'd score them on appearance (9,9,9,8) I find it hard to believe that your chicken placed the way it did. I'd be pitching a fit. Great looking Q man, hopefully you wont get a suck table for chicken judging next time.

Here are my scores:

Chicken 8 9 8 9 8 7 - 42nd place
Ribs 8 8 8 8 8 6 - 8th place
Pork 8 8 9 9 9 8 - 19th place
Brisket 9 9 8 7 7 9 - 14th place

I think I am in trouble in Gilbert. They ALL look great Neil.

PERSONAL preference: I like my brisket slices un-squared. They look less appretizing to me when they are not some sort of natural shape and color. That box is maybe an 8 to me?

I have trouble with the 7's. I just don't know how you make that meat more appealing...The 8's are fair, like I said in person maybe a 9, some obviously felt that way...The 6, well, it always seems to happen to us too. Would love to know the experience level of that CBJ. I have to believe it is not a 1st or 2nd time judge and if it is a more experienced CBJ, I would love to see what they consider above average.

I was going to say strong 8s across the board. Mostly not 9s because of the sauce issues already mentioned.

Your Chicken looks really good, but it was uneven and the sauce was "gloppy".

The ribs seemed a little "skinny" and the sauce was gloppy again.

The Pork looked "sparse" - six slices of MM and only six pulled chunks. More pulled chunks may have helped "fill out" the box. Sauce issues again that I think detracted from the probably beautiful color of the cooked meat.

Brisket - Trimmed off the ends of the slices to fit the box; the "burnt ends" just look like chopped up pieces of point and don't really add anything to the appearance; the sauce again covers up the meat and I think detracts.

Please bear in mind that I think all of your turn-ins look WAY better than what I usually box up, and I really think they're all fantastic, but since you asked, I wanted to give an honest opinion.

That's why this is so hard. Some people say it needs to be shiny so it will "pop" in the box. Others say it's too shiny and too much sauce. How do you please everyone? Find a way to submit 12 thighs, 6 with no sauce and 6 with heavy sauce?

I think they are fair scores.

I'd also suggest filling the box. Don't leave so much green. It's a meat contest and give them meat. Especially pork and ribs.

^^^ I've always agreed with the fill the box thing. My scores were:

Chicken 9
Ribs 8
Pork 8 <-- like what you're doing, but fill it, and the sheen might've been a bit much
Brisket 8

Yeah, the sheen is a double edged sword. Some people are conditioned to like and
expect a high gloss shine. Where as I grew up with barbecue that didnt shine so
much and later worked in publishing/printing/advertising where food literally was
sprayed with shellac for that shine. To me, too much shine looks almost fake. I
wouldnt grade off for it, but its just not as appetizing (to me) as it could be.

The ***** of it is that it's subjective, and everyone has differing opinions. This is
why landing on a good table is really key and the luck of it. A good table meaning
one that's good for you, where your *style* is appreciated.

"shiny" vs. "juicy"

Neil,
To me, the key is making the meat look "juicy". You know, that kind of "bite into it and have grease running down your chin" kind of juicy vs. a "shiny" that you get from a sauce.

I think sometimes - like I mentioned above - the color of the sauce obscures the color of the meat. Yes, you get shiny, but you don't necessarily get juicy.

Maybe the key to a perfect turn-in is finding a way to get the "juicy" look but with the all-out flavor of a sauced bite?

Back