• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Texas:John Mueller's Back In The Game Post Scandal

I was just reading an article about John's story in Texas Monthly. So did I understand this correct.. after being down and out he started a pit in a trailer and now got "kicked" out? Man what a shame.

Don't try and keep up with the drama -- it's family!

A lot of places around central and south Texas cook on low brick pits with sheet metal covers. Actually one of the old school places here in FL does that too. The coal bed is kept up underneath and the pits are usually 10-20 feet long (McBee's locations are like this). Others cook almost Santa Maria style on a big round pit in the middle of the restaurant. It's all good or not...you gotta try it to find out!!

Don't try and keep up with the drama -- it's family!

A lot of places around central and south Texas cook on low brick pits with sheet metal covers. Actually one of the old school places here in FL does that too. The coal bed is kept up underneath and the pits are usually 10-20 feet long (McBee's locations are like this). Others cook almost Santa Maria style on a big round pit in the middle of the restaurant. It's all good or not...you gotta try it to find out!!

That's very cool. What's the name of the Florida joint?

"Peeble's" in Auburndale, FL, on Old Dixie Highway.
Only open Thursday - Saturday: Look at the open/close dates on the sign. They take the summers off!!
Grew up going there back in the '60's. It is a real "joint". Screen and shutters, shell parking lot, etc.
I haven't been there in a couple of years...guess it's time for a short road trip.

Attachments

• Peebles-BBQ.jpg
    Peebles-BBQ.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Back