Help with Grilling Chicken

T

tom288

Everytime I grill chicken breats (skinless), they get stuck to the grate and pieces tear off when I move them. I usually cook them direct then move to indirect. Should I just do indirect the whole time or is there stuff I can wipe the grate down with to prevent sticking?

And just so I dont have to create a new thread, anybody got any tips on marinades/rubs to use with grilled chicken? I usually just cook them plain so I can eat them with A1 Thickn'Hearty, which is really good by the way, or cut em up for a salad.

Thanks

The trick is to use a clean, shinny grill. Steve R. always suggests to pre wipe it with oil first. This is not necessary if you always keep it clean and shinny. There will be enough oil/grease on your grill brush to keep it oiled (that is the shinny part).

I also always flip them after a couple min. to sear the outside. With this combo, I have never had them stick.

What big dog said. Get your grill really hot, brush the grates with a wire brush to remove any particles. Right before you put the chicken on, take a rolled up towel or paper towel, dip it in veggie oil and use tongs to run it over your grill grates. This will keep your food from sticking and give you nice grill marks.

What big dog said. Get your grill really hot, brush the grates with a wire brush to remove any particles. Right before you put the chicken on, take a rolled up towel or paper towel, dip it in veggie oil and use tongs to run it over your grill grates. This will keep your food from sticking and give you nice grill marks.

Ditto what BadBoys said!

You also might be trying to move them too soon.....? Things release easier once the char is set.....

I spray oil on the grate.......but this way is safer:biggrin:

Marinate them in some Italian Salad dressing for 4-24 hours and then pat them dry and sprinkle some rub on them, put the breasts on bone side down indirect, should take approx 50-60 minutes @350. The remaining dressing on the chicken should be enough to coat the grate and prevent sticking.

I use Dorothy Lynch's Salad Dressing but do not marinate, just brush on. Anyone else use it?

Thanks for the help, Im gonna heat up the grate and rub it down, then put some olive oil on it. I forgot to add, I have boneless chicken breasts, if that makes a difference.

Here's the brine I use
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 brown sugar
2 bay leaves
10 blackpepper corns
1 oz of franks red hot sauce
1 gal h20 or 2 qts I cant remember

1.brine the breast for 2 hours only then take them out let dry.
2.sprinkle with favorite rub.
3.Spray grill grate with Pam or use paper towel and olive oil
4.put over direct heat and sear off the chicken breast
5.let the char set and the chicken will release from grate when ready.
6.repeat on the other side
7. place chicken over indirect side of grill
8. glaze with your favorite sauce on both sides until fully cooked through

First Place Chicken Breast Grillin on the Bay
Granch Champions Grillin on the Bay

whole, but I never cracked them... maybe I will next time

Oh yeah... I bring the whole brine to a boil then let it cool down completely over night.

Whole chicken I brine, pcs of bird and into a zip lock bag with italian dressing. Last chicken cook I used a sun dried tomato dressing the family thought the bird was some of my best tasting. I have never been a big fan of grilled chicken.

No stick, clean grates, oil if needed, let the meat sit long enough for the char to form. the meat lets go after the char has set.

Clean grates a must. When chicken is ready it will turn loose on its own. I cook over open fire, never never never flip the chicken till it turns loose.

Just noticed I'm repeating other people's advise... they are correct... :cool:

Since boneless skinless breasts are a staple of my diet, I grill them at least a couple times a week. I usually rub them down with whatever I'm using that night, and then rub a thin coat of olive oil over them on both sides. They go direct on the egg at around 375 and are flipped at about the 12 minute mark. I've never had any stick.

Back