My egg ready to hatch

D

dswfondy

Hello all,

Just got my freebie for my new pit we are building. 36" dia. 8' 4" long. I am hoping to get three shelves in this unit. any thoughts?

Dace

Branson's BBQ

Attachments

• CAM_1677.JPG
    CAM_1677.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 381
My thoughts? Nice score!

Oh Boy, I'll say. Things like that don't just jump into my lap. Best of luck with your building.

"LAWD Have Mercy"!

That is gonna be a honkin' smoker when you are done.
Keep up posted.

Gonna make the Brother's proud (and jealous) :lol:

TIM

You're gonna have fun with that. I am jealous.

So what are your plans with it? One long horizontal or are you cutting it? Are you adding a vertical? C'mon, inquiring (read: drooling) minds want to know!

it will be a horz. pit, i am thinking of addinga warming box, or a vertical section. hopoefully three racks each door. going to mount on a trailer when i find one, so i can build a catering rig around it i think. i can post my plans in a couple of days

Dace

That's gonna be one awesome pit!!

I would consider either a reverse flow design (a la Lang) or at least good tuning plates.

Here's a link to some good pics and info on tuning plate(they're near the bottom of the page) http://www.exit201.com/cyclops/cyclops.shtml

Are you going to use some of the round stock for a firebox or build a square one?

What is the wall thickness of that monster piece of steel?

Whoa! That's gonna be a biggun! Keep us posted.

kcquer, that's a great link ya posted.

Can't wait to see the finished Pit.

Good luck on the build out.

ok,

It will be a reverse flow like the lang. The pipe is 3/8 thick!! and i will be building a firebox out of flat steel stock. i an thinking like 30" x 30" just so it fits with the size of the pipe better. I need to find some good temp gauges!! anyone have a link for some? I am working on reworking my cadkey design for this size of pipe tonight, i thought i was only getting a 78" pipe!! anyone think putting doors on both sides will be a benefit?

later

Dace

Branson's BBQ

Check Out Spicewines site. He sells his signature Therms there. I just got a firebasket from him and a thermo to replace the crap one in my BSKD. I think I have a link to another site that sells alot of different industrial type thermometers but it's at home and I'm at work right now. If I get a chance, I'll look for it later.
OK, I have to say it.....Damn that's a beautiful hunk of metal you got there.

JTMcD.

anyone think putting doors on both sides will be a benefit?

Dace, even if you make the racks slide out (which I guess you will) 36" is still a long reach. If you can make those doors seal up well, I think the easier acess of doors on both sides will be great. The other thing to consider is at 3/8" thick those doors will be quite heavy, even if you put 3 doors per side. Some sort of counter weight comes into play and with doors on both sides, you end up with clearance issues as well as making sure when you open a door, you're not banging someone in the gourd on the other side. Just some things to consider.
I'm extremely jealous of your project, take tons of pix as you go (pitbuilding voyuer mod)!!

Have the dimensions for the stack figured? If not you might ask parrothead to take a tape to his Ortone so you could scale it to your pit to get in the ballpark for the right draw.

Jorge, good job Bro!! I never thought about Greg's Ortone, it's a 36" pit also. Probably more than the stack dims Greg can jump start him on. Good catch!!

Back