IBCA comp and chicken size to buy.

So have you cooked one yet in comparison? I'm gonna ask the store manager at ours if he will get some. They are really good at gettin what the customers want there.

So have you cooked one yet in comparison? I'm gonna ask the store manager at ours if he will get some. They are really good at gettin what the customers want there.

Not side by side, but I notice they have less fat than Sanderson/Hill country fare brands. As far as a better skin, there is some improvement. I still need to improve my method to get me over the hump though. They are tasty, that's for sure. HEB owns Central Market and CM carries air chilled whole chickens, but they are about $18-20 a bird! This guy I know that works at CM cooking school says they taste more like chicken..:twitch:

Not side by side, but I notice they have less fat than Sanderson/Hill country fare brands. As far as a better skin, there is some improvement. I still need to improve my method to get me over the hump though. They are tasty, that's for sure. HEB owns Central Market and CM carries air chilled whole chickens, but they are about $18-20 a bird! This guy I know that works at CM cooking school says they taste more like chicken..:twitch:

What the heck, we already feedin them judges $50 briskets, what's a $18 bird? :becky:

Have done very well with both the heb and the sandersons, have not tried those high dolla's though.

Btw, Butterballs are the absolute best imo, Albertsons used to carry them, we havent had an Albertsons in about 10 yrs though.

Btw, Butterballs are the absolute best imo, Albertsons used to carry them, we havent had an Albertsons in about 10 yrs though.

Yea, HEB ran them out of town a long time ago too. What about really small butterball turkeys? :wink:

No Albertsons' around here either, it's either Wal-Mart or HEB or a few local stores like Market Basket (carries Tyson) or Brookshire Bros. (carries Pilgrims Pride).

I watched this movie the other day called "food inc." and all I can say is wow. It's crazy how they grow full grown chickens, and what they pump into our food. Anyways now I understand why chicken don't taste like chicken anymore if that makes sense. We grew our own and I do remember them just tasting better. Ongoing I notice how the Sanderson have such a large breast and the movie explained it. I like plump breasts on chickens because alot of judges like white meat better If its cooked right with alot of flavor.

I find this interesting for comps. We all want/think chicken should taste like chicken, (same goes for beef and pork), however do you give the judges this natural tasting meat or give them what they are used to eating, which is probably ordinary chicken?

We really started doing better with KISS BBQ instead of all the elaborate junk! I vote Plain old fashioned BBQ. Definitely not butter boiled chicken thighs with the stickiest sauce in the world with green junk stuck to it :loco:

So if we're looking for "chicken" flavored chicken, what's with all the injecting, infusing, butter/broth bath methods beyound trying to just keep moist?
Is there a method to get more "chicken-y" tasting chicken, or is it just moister?

And the better question is how to progress moist chicken to juicy squirt in your face chicken?

Back