• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sardines and Peanut Butter??????? :-p

Swap out the sardine for some anchovy add a little acid to balance it, toss it in the blender and you've got a tasty satay sauce.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

This is calling out for anchovies!

Swap out the sardine for some anchovy add a little acid to balance it, toss it in the blender and you've got a tasty satay sauce.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

An interesting thing to note to readers; Anchovy is one of the primary flavoring ingredients in Worcestershire sauce!:thumb: In fact, years ago, my wife was talking about her disdain for seafood and how she can taste anything with any sort of seafood in it whatsoever because she hates it so much. I reminded her how much she loved Worcestershire sauce and she was like, "So?", then she looked at me with that slightly fearful look about how I was about to ruin yet ANOTHER food for her. So she looked at the list of ingredients on the Worcestershire. Lo and behold...she has never had a drop of Worcestershire since because now she hates Worcestershire too!:der:

As for Satay, I didn't mention it, I figured peoples brains could start engaging without too much prodding from me. I figured the Kung Pao reference alone should open peoples minds enough to at least get the analytical food thought processes engaged.

umami, wasn't that why msg was developed ?
As a matter of fact, as food scientists realized the power of foods with umami flavor (everything people crave, basically), they isolated the compound, Monosodium Glutamate, and it started appearing in everything.

Some folks claim to have issues with it, yet they eat foods that have naturally occurring glutamates in it every day. Sometimes nature wins, I guess.

For lunch today I took some Italian bread, I made a quick and dirty lunch (I have had little time to make food lately) and spread a thin layer of butter on it, then sprinkled on some Garlic Powder, Parsley and Basil, then topped with fresh grated Parmesan and popped that into the broiler for a few minutes to brown the top and melt the cheese. Then I took some homemade Marinara from the freezer, thawed it out in the microwave and then warmed it up, and when the bread was ready just spread a nice layer of sauce over the top. It was the best damn thing I have tasted for about a week or so, and is a simple, quick go-to snack that I really should do more often.:thumb: Maybe it's not the most healthy though...what with the extreme amount of glutamates in the tomatoes and parmesan.

bigabyte, you are my new hero. was actually drooling reading that.
umami, wasn't that why msg was developed ?

Right, I would like to see the sardine/pb sprinkled with some Accent. (no I don't care to try this myself)

Can you envision the responses you have received if you posted this as a question:
"Can I mix Sardines and PeaNut Butter ?"
It would have been 100% "Are you crazy or something...." 8)

But, you did it and then posted the results.
My hat is off to you!

Am I gonna do it--No.
But, there is a lot of other good flavor info in your discussion that I will put in my tiny little memory bank for future use.

Well Done--Thanks

TIM

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit reading that.

I do appreciate your dedication to research though. I'm sure everyone's cats are gonna love that stuff.

That was the intention. Not to make "Peanut Butter and Sardines" as the next big food rage, but to open peoples minds to the worlds of possibilities of "working flavors together" to improve their cooking skills.:thumb: Even things they might not normally think to combine, yet could take things to a much higher level if they did.

Then again, most likely everyone will just forget all this!:laugh: MYself included.:der:

FARK YES!!! I would hit it, as a kid I used to have PB and tuna fish sandwiches with home canned tuna. :hungry:

That was the intention. Not to make "Peanut Butter and Sardines" as the next big food rage, but to open peoples minds to the worlds of possibilities of "working flavors together" to improve their cooking skills.:thumb: Even things they might not normally think to combine, yet could take things to a much higher level if they did.

Then again, most likely everyone will just forget all this!:laugh: MYself included.:der:

Actually, I was intrigued enough to bookmark this one...

I can't. But I will say it involved that mixture, a cat, a doodle, an old pair of Depends, and a very real risk of infection. :tsk:

I did an image search on that ("cat, a doodle, an old pair of Depends, and the risk of infection") and this was the first hit:

picture117.jpg

I can see why you wouldn't want to post that. :tsk:

Back