• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sliced Pork Rather Than Pulled

Belk department store...Belk is the largest privately owned department store chain in the country. 300+ stores...owned 100% by the Belk family. I am the Loss Prevention Manager at the Morganton store. I catch the shoplifters.

Address is C102 Morganton Heights Blvd...if you decide to try some of what's in that pic.

Oh sorry, I'm kinda the new kid in town. I moved to Black Mountain from Alaska last September. I appreciate the invite, but I can't travel this week. I do want to drive around and visit all the towns in the area when I can. I'll let you know when I can make it over your way.
thanks,

JP

I love sliced pork and will occasionally cook a butt for that. As others said, you can pull at 160, but waiting to 180 or so then resting for a bit is better. The loin is my favorite for sliced though and I pull those at 140.

I too enjoy sliced pork over pulled. I'm originally from SC and that's how I had it growing up.

I too enjoy sliced pork over pulled. I'm originally from SC and that's how I had it growing up.

One of my new buds here grew up in Georgetown, SC. He helped me get my new WSM started on Saturday. He told me when he was a kid, his family would cook 10 whole hogs in a dug pit with bricks on the sides. The top was sheet metal, and they'd move the sheet to adjust the draft. His job was to keep watch all night, with a bb gun to keep the hounds away from the pit. 300 family members would show up the next day to enjoy the Q.

JP

IMO, and not counting whole hog

(if cooked around 250-265 degrees)

Chopping temp is 165-170- I like whole shoulders this way

Slicing is 180-185- preferably a boneless butt

Pulling is 194-200- I like bone-in butts

Now, it's very true that feel is the best way to go but these temps are pretty dang close unless you go hot and fast then they change a bit.

One of my new buds here grew up in Georgetown, SC. He helped me get my new WSM started on Saturday. He told me when he was a kid, his family would cook 10 whole hogs in a dug pit with bricks on the sides. The top was sheet metal, and they'd move the sheet to adjust the draft. His job was to keep watch all night, with a bb gun to keep the hounds away from the pit. 300 family members would show up the next day to enjoy the Q.

JP

Yes sir how I miss the south. We never had that many to come for supper :shocked:

IMO, and not counting whole hog

(if cooked around 250-265 degrees)

Chopping temp is 165-170- I like whole shoulders this way

Slicing is 180-185- preferably a boneless butt

Pulling is 194-200- I like bone-in butts

Now, it's very true that feel is the best way to go but these temps are pretty dang close unless you go hot and fast then they change a bit.

I will be doing this really soon. With a mustard based sauce :thumb: SC style.

Funny thing...growing up in the western half of NC, the joints around here seemed to do a lot of chopped. I grew up eating chopped bbq sammiches. I didn't start pulling until a year or so ago...used to bust out the cutting board and a bigass knife and go to town. I also never used a mustard or vinegar based sauces til I moved to the eastern side of the state...even then and up til now, I still prefer a tomato base.
On a side note, I am back near the mountains...got tired of dodging hurricanes every fall. Irene dropped a tree almost on top of the house within 5 feet of the master bedroom back in 2012....and took down all of my mini fruit trees! The silver lining to that cloud was that I cut those trees up for some nice apple and peach chunks...

I suggest cutting it in half, one side boneless and one side with bone in. Cook the boneless for slicing and cook the bone side for pulling (for your company that'll most definitely be coming over again since your rib fest.. they seemed to gobble those right down!) Offere a couple of different sauces if they like. I always use a vinegar based sauce to start with and mix in with the pulled meat (like Shack Attack).

I suggest cutting it in half, one side boneless and one side with bone in. Cook the boneless for slicing and cook the bone side for pulling (for your company that'll most definitely be coming over again since your rib fest.. they seemed to gobble those right down!) Offere a couple of different sauces if they like. I always use a vinegar based sauce to start with and mix in with the pulled meat (like Shack Attack).

Thanks Ms Ess,
You always offer good advice.

JP

I don't like pork when it is shredded either. Almost all pulled pork out here is shredded. I serve mine in more of a coarse chop.

However, I will sometimes cook it to around 185°F to 190°F and slice. It is almost to the point it would pull, but, it ends up very tender. Boneless butts are terrific for this as well.

I like pulled and I like sliced. There is more than one path to excellence. I slice at 180-185 and pull when it probes like butter...195-205. If I miss my temp a bit high and I want to slice, I slice.

Any pics of sliced pork from a restaurant? Not necessarily sliced comp pork... Although I wouldn't mind seeing how everyone slices Comp pork......

There's a local grocery store whose butcher used to smoke pork and they'd sell it with the deli meats. It was fantastic. We'd buy it and use it for sandwiches for lunches or grilled cheeses.

Back