BBQ regions and their wood

Minnesota - a lot of Apple and hickory but Maple and Oak very abundant, don't know if this state has anything consistent besides snow!

In Ohio we have a lot of maple, but I prefer black cherry. It's not that hard to get a hold of. We also have oak, hickory, and apple isn't to scarce.

I live in BC, Canada, and the Natives here have been cooking and smoking Fish with Alder and Cedar for Centuries. These days fruit woods are more popular, particularly apple and cherry. Oak is very rare and certian species are even protected, and I have nver seen a Mesquite or Hickory Tree in BC. I would be curious to try Arbutus(hardwood), as it is unique to our area, and is easy to find clippings, has anyone ever tried Arbutus?

I would say that pecan is as prevalent (if not more) in much of Texas as mesquite or oak. While post oak is often associated with Texas (especially Hill Country), it is hard to find separated out for the non-commercial buyer (especially seasoned since it takes a long time). Most places just mix all of the regular white, red and post (and even black jack) together and sell it as "oak." Pecan on the other hand can be found plentifully and seasoned pretty much constantly. Mesquite seams to be on the decline both in use and availability. I use it (and a lot of folks that I talk to do the same) mixed with oak and pecan but never by itself. Right now, I am about 80% pecan, 10% post oak and 10% mesquite and mix them at about that rate during a cook. I actually prefer hickory when using chunks in my kettle or when smoking in my vertical with charcoal/chunks. I also like hickory pellets on the rare occasion that I use them.

I normally use Hickory and apple but plum is great if you can get it. Around here in Washington State we have lots of Alder but have only used it for smoking salmon. Has anyone here used Alder for smoking other meats?

I'd say mainly red oak and hickory for southern Indiana, Some apple and cherry if you are lucky, which I am thanks to the woods I live in, plenty of cherry.

I guess "native" in Florida would be leftover 2X4's and plywood scraps from the building boom/bust :puke: so I import oak, hickory & pecan.

Alabama has lots of Oak, Hickory, and Pecan.
There are probably 50 Pecans near me that I graciously help the owners remove fallen limbs and occasionally a tree. Just cause I'm a nice guy. :wink:
Free wood is free wood.

A good citizen with a chainsaw is very welcome helping remove Tornado damaged trees. :thumb:

Another voice from western Washington State - I use our native wild cherry, plum, apple or pear. We also have lots of maple although I've never tried that. Oak trees are not unknown here but I've never tried that either. Of course, alder is enormously prevalent here and it is the preferred wood for salmon. Meat can be planked on cedar, also very common here.

But I don't think there *is* a "traditional" NW barbecue traditional wood besides alder for smoking fish.

seattlepitboss

GOOD OL' Railroad ties !!! getcha' some of that oil fire goodness!!!!:thumb:

-----aged telephone poles also qualify,....:hand: but the must be AGED !!!!!

LOL,.......sorry really slow work day. Central TX. Post and Black Jack OAK.

Mid-Kansas.
Hickory when I can get it
Mulberry
A little apple, but not crazy about it
Black Cherry - scarce, but will take all of it I can find
Bodark (Osage Orange or Hedge)
Pecan, when I can find it
Haven't tried Oak yet
Might try some Bradford Pear
Not tried Hackberry yet

Y'know I hadn't really given much thought to what was found/grown locally - here in AZ, I'm not entirely sure. I would think mesquite, and surely lots of citrus trees.

However at the place I get all my wood (bbfw.com) - they always have plentiful supply bags of apple, pecan, almond. I think mesquite also. I'll need to branch out because I almost always grab pecan and apple without thinking about it.

I live in BC, Canada, and the Natives here have been cooking and smoking Fish with Alder and Cedar for Centuries. These days fruit woods are more popular, particularly apple and cherry. Oak is very rare and certian species are even protected, and I have nver seen a Mesquite or Hickory Tree in BC. I would be curious to try Arbutus(hardwood), as it is unique to our area, and is easy to find clippings, has anyone ever tried Arbutus?

I found this thread on the CBBQA website which might be of assistance
http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16566

Pin oak from the front yard, pecan and mulberry from the back. Doesn't get much more local than that :thumb: Use a lot of cherry and hickory too, but have to out source those.

Another KC'er here, Waldo area. I have a black cherry, mulberry, and red bud. I've used them all and tasted great. I've got some maple from a craigslist find that works great.

I've yet to get some hickory...don't see that on craigslist much.

Texas
North and northeast- Hickory, Pecan, Oak (several varieties)
Southeast- Pecan, Oak (live, water, red and several others)
Central- Post Oak. Live oak, Pecan, Mesquite (also peach)
West- depends where, trees an be scarce but Mesquite and post oak
There are other mixed in but this would represent the majority

Back