• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Thigh Question

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
the last few times I have cooked chicken thighs, I noticed that if I used a rub, and BBQ sauce, that the flavors seemed to "fight" with each other. If I had used just a rub, or just BBQ sauce, it would have been fine, however, when I used both together, the flavors, while good, were just not compatible.

Any thoughts on this? Should I just be using salt and pepper, or is there a tried and true rub that works well with bbq sauce as well. I am looking more for my own cooking vs competition.

There are a lot of good combinations and a LOT of bad combinations. All things don't just magically work together. If you have a real sweet sauce, a sugar based rub might not work, might be better with some heat to 'match'. The key really is playing with it and finding something you like.

You can always do some taste testing, cook plain chicken and sprinkle and dip. Or just spice on finger then sauce on finger. If you really like a particular sauce, then there's nothing wrong with simple salt and pepper.

I'd just use salt and pepper. I use a 1 part apple cider vinegar/3 parts apple juice mix in a spray bottle to wet it first. Easy on the salt if you brine your chicken overnight before cooking.

I doubt you'll find a sauce that fights with The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style Rub. That stuff is good on everything. Even ice cream!:becky:

Back