Beer Tag: Pair the Beer with the Beast!

A

aHughJassDude

So I'm curious what the best beers are to go with different meats. Pair up your favorite beer with the meat you feel is a good compliment and add the style you think you is best. Please add options if you think I missed something that should be included.

Beef Brisket:
Beef Ribs:
Pulled Pork:
Pork Ribs:
Pork Shoulder:
Boston Butt:
Spare Ribs:
Chicken Wings (hot):
Chicken Wings (mild):
Chicken Legs & Thighs:

NO SIDES PLEASE!

I'll play! I'm not well versed in food/beer pairing, but I'll give it a shot...

Beef Brisket: Chimay
Beef Ribs: Cold New Belgium Trippel
Pulled Pork: Goose Island 312
Pork Ribs: O'Fallon Wheach
Pork Shoulder: Local Flat Branch Brewing Company beer called Katy Trail Pale Ale
Boston Butt: Boulevard Wheat
Spare Ribs: Boulevard Tank 7
Chicken Wings (hot): New Castle Brown Ale
Chicken Wings (mild): Budweiser
Chicken Legs & Thighs: Pabst Blue Ribbon

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YLatKHSUqw"]Tripl3 Crown - "Chuggy Chuggy Chuggy (The PBR Song)" [Official HD] - YouTube[/ame] - shameless plug...

My son is really into craft beers so whatever he brings is usually what we drink. I'm a fan of IPAs so there's lots to choose from. My '"classic" 3 favorites (what he used to introduce to IPAs and double IPAs) are Dog Fish Head 60, Stone IPA and Victory Hop Wallop. Hop Wallop got me on the DIPA bandwagon and current faves are Firestone Walker Double Jack
and Lagunitas S*cks.

I can't say I'm much into food/beer pairing. I do enjoy a nice cold one while I'm lighting my coals. I like something lighter like a Pale Ale or an IPA. Summer seasonals are also good.

But the clear best choices have already been mentioned: Cold and Free.

To all of the choices,

4qj42r.jpg

I love hops so pretty much it's always an IPA or DIPA or a pale ale. So usually Il Vicino Wet Mountain IPA, Exodus IPA or La Cumbre Elevated IPA or Il Vicino Odin's Red. Although I really like La Cumbre's Smoked Porter! Yum! I'll take any of these with anything on your food list.

Beef Brisket: brown ale
Beef Ribs: porter
Pulled Pork: american pale ale
Pork Ribs: india pale ale
Pork Shoulder: dubbel
Boston Butt: belgian strong dark ale
Spare Ribs: porter
Chicken Wings (hot): pilsner
Chicken Wings (mild): india pale ale
Chicken Legs & Thighs: kolsch

Beef Brisket: Summer: Summer ale, single Belgian; Winter: porter
Beef Ribs: Summer: Lager; Winter: nut brown ale
Pulled Pork: Bitter, pilsner
Pork Ribs: Bitter, pilsner
Pork Shoulder: Bitter, Pale Ale, pilsner
Boston Butt: same as above
Spare Ribs: Bitter (and how are spareribs not pork ribs?)
Chicken Wings (hot): ice tea, pilsner
Chicken Wings (mild): Summer: Pale ale; Winter: porter, Irish ale
Chicken Legs & Thighs: same as above

I really dislike IPA and IIPA for food parings. I prefer not to have to contrast the bitterness of hops with most foods, especially strongly spiced foods.

This is EASY!

So I'm curious what the best beers are to go with different meats. Pair up your favorite beer with the meat you feel is a good compliment and add the style you think you is best. Please add options if you think I missed something that should be included.

Beef Brisket: Bud Light
Beef Ribs: Bud Light
Pulled Pork: Bud Light
Pork Ribs: Bud Light
Pork Shoulder: Bud Light
Boston Butt: Bud Light
Spare Ribs: Bud Light
Chicken Wings (hot): Bud Light
Chicken Wings (mild): Bud Light
Chicken Legs & Thighs: Bud Light

NO SIDES PLEASE!

Julia Child used to say that "pork likes apples," meaning apples and pork go together. I started fermenting cider from a local orchard. That stuff is unbelievably awesome with anything pork.

Nice hoppy IPAs are great with bbq sauce. Porters and bocks are nice with beef, and nice mild pilsners/wheats are good with chicken.

Michelob Ultra.... I'm diabetic and have to watch my carbs. Every once in a blue moon ill live a little and have a Fat Tire.

Back