Real Carnitas part 2

Let's not forget the beans!!! Hot lard in pan and the little lady grating onion into it. We let the onions soften then added whole cooked pinto beans. Cooked it all together for 15 minutes then smashed by hand.
qy9e7ame.jpg

ypujagu2.jpg

Being from California we don't have the opportunity to do a whole pig. I've always done the stove version. Question? I've always put sliced oranges in mine. Why don't you, if you don't mind me asking?

Being from California we don't have the opportunity to do a whole pig. I've always done the stove version. Question? I've always put sliced oranges in mine. Why don't you, if you don't mind me asking?

That would be from a different region of Mexico, my recipe is traditional from Michoacan area. I have also heard of adding milk some how. Think of it this way, where did Bbq start? How has it changed from it original form? Well carnitas started in Michoacan and this (or the first thread) is its original form. That is why you travel all over Mexico and see restaurants that advertise carnitas de Michoacan.

I can add a bit about the oranges if Pugi doesn't mind. I couldn't tell you what is authentic to a specific region like Pugi can. My grandfather was from Delicias, MX. All of the stuff we do and the wqay we do it, we learned from him. One idea behind adding the juice from fresh oranges is to do so at the very end of the cook. The idea is to get the sugars in the orange to "carmelize" and add some color. The bad part is that if you add too much or add it at the wrong time, the sugars burn and you get that burned taste on the meat. Around here, the mom and pop shops sell their version of carnitas which are 3-4 square chunks of pork that are deep fried. The outside is crispy and basically you tear off/shred em and go from there. Pugi is right, every region adds their own touch to it.
Here's how we like to do it:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57288&highlight=processing

Bob, awesome thread!!! I know for me, part of the fun is family and friends. I cannot wait for warmer months to do this again. As for the addition of different items, I would love to try some with oranges. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that makes it that way.

Back