Chicken skin

M

mstewart

I cooked some chicken thighs and legs today, the skin made good dog Chew toys, the meat was good though after the skin was feed to the dogs.Any hint how to fix this ?

What temp was the cooker at?
One way is to try some higher heat, and finish off over direct.
I do it till I see the fat in the skin bubbling/rendering the fat away.
Also the drier the skin going on, the more of a chance of crisping up.

I cooked some chicken thighs and legs today, the skin made good dog Chew toys, the meat was good though after the skin was feed to the dogs.Any hint how to fix this ?

Give us something to work with :) How did you prep it, did you brine or marinade, what temp did you cook it at, how long, etc.

The grill started at 300 then drooped it down to 250 I started with the skins dry used olive oil on them as they cooked . No Brine or Marinade . Smoked them with apple wood.

If you want to cook at 250F, you are going to have to help the thighs along with rendering, many folks use the part of the Pickled Pig method which scrapes the fat off the skin and then replaces it. Some folks swear by mayonnaise as a coating.

My preference is to cook a lot hotter, at least 375F and up to 450F.

I have pretty good luck with chicken quarters by cooking them skin side down at 300.
The fat rendering out bastes the skin so it does not dry out.

Yup - what bigabyte said ^^^^^^ Unless you spend some time scraping your skins, you need to render that fat off - high heat is the best way to do it. The drier the skin the better.

Back