• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

When you gotta cut them loose.

I went thru this when my brother decided to do the family thing and the team understood. It gave me an opportunity to get my own team going and after a couple of years apart, we are now back together and better for it. Just dont beat around the bush and be honest with them. They will understand if they are true friends.

I can't see how, if you tell them it is because you want to pull in family and make it more of a family thing, that any good friend will have an issue with it. Heck, twas me, I would just tell you to keep my number handy.

As I recall, your team was all about cooking in the service of God anyways, not about the winning (I know we all like to win) so, I gotta believe this is a simple thing.

Talk to them about it. Mabey you could come to an understanding where everyone wins. Do some with your family and a couple fun comps with the buddies. Balance is the key! Either way.

give them the option of buying in to see how interested they really are, if they aren't you may be able to pull the plug without burning a bridge you may need to cross in the future

Sounds like to me you just want to make it a family thing which is understandable considering it's all your equipment, recipes, money etc.. I would just tell them you are starting a new team with just family and they are welcome to form their own using the orginal team name.

However, if these are friends you don't want to lose and you just wish they would contribute to the team, have them pitch in some $ for every comp. that way if you don't win any prize money it's not just you that "donated to the comp". If you do win some money, splitting the $ after all expenses would be the fair thing to do.

Why should the brand owner give up their brand (team name) unless there was some kind of partnership agreement on the part of all parties? It's the OP's team, team members come and go.

Why should the brand owner give up their brand (team name) unless there was some kind of partnership agreement on the part of all parties? It's the OP's team, team members come and go.

I agree, that doesn't make sense to me. If they're true friends, they should understand. Family is family.

Honestly, I feel like my other team members are riding my coattails and are contributing zilch, besides taking pics at awards.

Would I be a douche if I simply said "sayonara", and take all my toys, including the logo and team name, and ventured with my wife and kids?

Heck no. You want to hang with your family...that is great and to be applauded. Now, instead of not talking to your teammates about it privately and instead posting a comment about how they are just riding coattails and contributing zilch...for that you are a douche.

No problem here with showing them the door. I have to ask though, are you sure your wife and kids are ready to become 100 percent committed to 100 percent of the cooks? How about telling your buds that you would like to give your family a few chances to help you compete and say do every 2nd or 3rd comp with the old team mates and the others with family. This way you give the family a good taste of what it means and still get some bonding not to mention you still have the original team if say one of your kids gets sick or has other things to do and your wife will need to stay home, then you can ask a team member or two to step in and help. Just a thought. Do you at this time split any winnings?
Dave

No problem here with showing them the door. I have to ask though, are you sure your wife and kids are ready to become 100 percent committed to 100 percent of the cooks? How about telling your buds that you would like to give your family a few chances to help you compete and say do every 2nd or 3rd comp with the old team mates and the others with family. This way you give the family a good taste of what it means and still get some bonding not to mention you still have the original team if say one of your kids gets sick or has other things to do and your wife will need to stay home, then you can ask a team member or two to step in and help. Just a thought. Do you at this time split any winnings?
Dave

^this. I love cooking with my teammates, but if I ever decided to go back to cooking by myself, I really doubt I could sell it to my wife as "family time" for her to come out and be my dishwasher.

I’ve been dealing with this myself at the end of the year. I’ve had a few people helping me this year. But it gets painful when you’re the only one paying for everything. I had to cut one lose because of not helping. He wouldn’t even bring his own drinks or food then would eat and drink twice as much as me. :doh: That SUCKED. I’m planning on going pro after a two upcoming comps and I do not have the funds anymore to support others. I have a few others that will help when I ask. It’s a family event for us as well. Sometimes my family can come and sometimes not. When they cant I ask others to come and help. But when there is a Comp that is really close I ask all of the people that help me to come and bring their families and we have a great time after turn ins. But there is no better feeling when your teams name is called and the kids can go up with you.

I know what you mean, but I guess it's just a nice departing gesture to offer them. But then again, if it's a new team and new members, why not change the name?

heck no. You want to hang with your family...that is great and to be applauded. Now, instead of not talking to your teammates about it privately and instead posting a comment about how they are just riding coattails and contributing zilch...for that you are a douche.

amen!!!

Back