• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken question

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I wanted to ask those of you who compete if you smoke your contest chicken with or without the skin? I'm going back and forth on this issues and need some advice. Also I'm looking at entering leg quarters instead of the regular thighs everyone seems to enter. Decided to do this after reading the chicken article this month on the KCBS website. Any thoughts?

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

From my limited judging and comp experience, I'd say 99% of the chicken submitted still has its skin. As for leg quarters, it's an interesting idea, but I think they'd have to be small legs and thighs to fit 6 in a box.

In the last 4 years of judgeing I have only twice seen chicken turned in without the skin. I honestly would prefer it without the skin as most turn-ins have skin that is hurting them, but I think it is pretty difficult to keep a skinless chunk looking/tasting right for a box. Without the skin you might need to watch out on the amount of seasoning to use, it could be easy to overseason a skinless piece.

BrooklynQ said:
From my limited judging and comp experience, I'd say 99% of the chicken submitted still has its skin. As for leg quarters, it's an interesting idea, but I think they'd have to be small legs and thighs to fit 6 in a box.

Ditto.

Plus, I think the skin has a lot of flavor in it.
Flavor is, well it is, a good thing :lol:

TIM

I believe that the skin on chicken harbors much of the flavor. Getting an edible chicken skin is a big challenge for most people and results in a lot of headache. I have tried and tried to get it where I am satisfied and have acheived what I am happy with. I get good scores and as long as that is happening I will keep on doing what I am doing. When I have judged most everything has skin on it. I would work on perfecting the skin.
It seems the hype is trying to crisp it up. Well I'm saying that you can crisp it all you want but when you put it in a box and walk it to the judges and it gets cold, it won't be crispy any longer. You may want to try putting it in a foil pan and covering it at the end to render the skin down. Much like baking. This will give you a skin that is soft and edible. Good Luck!

Back