Disappointed-The Cooker That Kicked My..

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
.. Offset Smoker. Maybe I didn’t give it a chance, perhaps it’s because I can drive hours and not see a tree. Perhaps, maybe here in the fourth quarter of a mediocre cooking career I should give it one more shot.
It was me, not the cooker.
Maybe me has changed

.. Offset Smoker. Maybe I didn’t give it a chance, perhaps it’s because I can drive hours and not see a tree. Perhaps, maybe here in the fourth quarter of a mediocre cooking career I should give it one more shot.
It was me, not the cooker.
Maybe me has changed
C'mon Adams. What has you so down? Pick yourself up and get back in the race as the lyrics say.

What offset were you using??

I found an old bandera for cheap on craigslist, just to see if I like the idea of feeding logs. That thing was a pain in the a$$ to manage compared to my shirley fab.

So, my two cents is to move upstream and buy a quality offset and I think you will enjoy it.

... perhaps it’s because I can drive hours and not see a tree...

Yup, and bags of wood are REALLY expensive at the store. Know anyone with a pecan orchard?

...I found an old bandera for cheap on craigslist, just to see if I like the idea of feeding logs. That thing was a pain in the a$$ to manage compared to my shirley fab.
So, my two cents is to move upstream and buy a quality offset and I think you will enjoy it.

Don't disagree, the last few times I fired up my Bandera it was to grill in the firebox:doh:

My lineup is Barrel-Bullet-Ceramic-Steel, that being said I’ve always said since way back when I joined here-nothing screams barbecue like an offset cooker. I don’t need it, not sure I even want it. Just pondering. Had an excellent cook today on The SOB indirect internal firebox. Finished with Fattys

Last edited:
From a purely voyeuristic vantage point I hope you get another offset so we can witness the inevitable deliciousness you crank out of it... and now that you’ve thought of it and now you’ve spoken it out lout all that’s left is to make it so... Craigslist find, brethren sale or new?

:wink:

If the urban hikes and bikes prevent you from being able to tend the fire then it sounds like you don't need to scratch that itch. It is rewarding if you can find the time though.

"in the fourth quarter of a mediocre cooking career"?

Yeah...maybe- if for the first 40 years all you did was boil water. :grin:

You've said it before- you prefer the grill over the smoker. Not having an offset in the herd has not kept you from turning out great looking food. But you should get one if you want, truck in some wood and get after it. I"m ready to be amazed... again.

Well at least your not looking for a red sports car, 8)

I had an old new braunfals offset that even with all the recommended mods was still a PITA to run, and I have wood, lol
Now I cook on a 22 WSM and the food that comes off that is good enough for me, I just go out now and then to kick it so it doesn't misbehave

Pitch the offset I say. Go with a drum or something else simple. What part of the country are you in? I've got an offset for sale.

Back