• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM with Sensor Grommets with Zinc Coated Collars?

FIREPIT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

www.cajunbandit.com has sensor grommets for your thermo probes that look nice. They're made up of a brass grommet with a zinc coated collar and set screw. The zinc coated collar is about one inch in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Could there be any health issues bbq'n/smokin with these zinc coated collars inside the cooking chamber?

They also have black oxide collars.......:confused:

Thanks for your help!

I don't think they will cause a problem.
They are small.
Due to where they are located in the cooker, they won't be getting really hot.
Even if they give off zinc vapor, you will be using the cooker outdoors.
If you want to be safe, remove the zinc coating. Try muriatic acid, or as "Johnny_Crunch" suggested, vinegar.

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks to all the folks who had a "useful" response. I'll go ahead and use them and again, thanks!

I'd have to say that if you're concerned about the health issues of the grommets then you should be more concerned with the fat & cholesterol of the meats that we are cranking out.

I love my grommets! Consider the zinc to be my secret ingredient ;)

I'd have to say that if you're concerned about the health issues of the grommets then you should be more concerned with the fat & cholesterol of the meats that we are cranking out.

Dont share the zincret ingredient man!

I don't think the zinc coating will be a problem since you are not burning it, besides you will get a coating of smoke on it in no time. :biggrin1:

I'm currently working on some thermometer holders and probe access tubes and those collars come in a variety of materials... from nylon to alumimum, to zinc plated steel, and also stainless. In the 1/4 and 3/8 sizes, they are about $1.25 each in steel, and $3.25 in stainless... so, if you are nervous you can move to stainless. .

Shaft-Collar-1L630_AS01.jpg

You may need a "Sacrificial Anode" to attach to your rig due to "Di-electric Corrosion". That should remove the risk of any harmful effects. PM me and I will send one for a minimal fee.

I just purchased a new WSM 22.5 and want some probe ports. I'll probably go with those especially since now the secret is out. (Zinc infusion) :clap:

I don't think the zinc coating will be a problem since you are not burning it, besides you will get a coating of smoke on it in no time. :biggrin1:

I'm currently working on some thermometer holders and probe access tubes and those collars come in a variety of materials... from nylon to alumimum, to zinc plated steel, and also stainless. In the 1/4 and 3/8 sizes, they are about $1.25 each in steel, and $3.25 in stainless... so, if you are nervous you can move to stainless. .

Shaft-Collar-1L630_AS01.jpg

Thanks for the info!

Back