• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How do you grill chicken?

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our competition chicken is a special process and we have done very well. I am curious how my brethren grill chicken at home. Wings, spatched, beer butt, pieces, legs only, thights only, whatever. What is your go to for grilling at home? Thanks everyone.

All the above. More theighs and spatchcock. Beer butt, wings even breasts which are usually marinated.

Holy chicken tenders, Batman! I forgot. I used to grill chicken boobs all the time. I've been so focused on friggin thighs lately that I've forgotten the last time I did some boobs.

But I did them on the Weber in sort of a Finney Reverse sear method. I had a med-high fire on one side of the grill. I would cook the chicken on the indirect side until they were 165-170*. Then throw them over above the coals and finish and obtain grill marks.

At home typically on a large grill dome (green egg knock off) but lately I have used my backwoods chubby without the water pan and over direct heat around 325 degrees. This has worked out better than the ceramic for me. I think this is how we are going to prep our competition thighs this year. My only issue with the chubby method is the coal placement. Gotta make sure to spread'em evenly.

Bros, I have tried all kinds of methods our great brethen have thrown out here, but hi heat is the only technique that has worked for me. Curious what the other folk have done.

I do thighs and spatchcocks, almost always hot in the kettle. If I can get it to cruise at 400F offset, then there is where I am. Usually I will add a little glaze to finish it off.

landarc, I am thinking the 400F may be the key. Curious what the brethren do at home.

Boneless breasts.... Rub of whatever I feel like at the time usually Cookshack Spicy chicken rub. Then sear on both sides for a couple minutes then set to indirect heat for 20 min. Or we do Beer Can with white wine or just some wings.

Our competition chicken is a special process and we have done very well. I am curious how my brethren grill chicken at home. Wings, spatched, beer butt, pieces, legs only, thights only, whatever. What is your go to for grilling at home? Thanks everyone.

Gee, Meat, what's the name of your team?

I definitely cook chicken at a much higher heat than I do ribs, butts, brisket, etc. Either indirect on a grill or on the hot spot in my offset.

I normally do spatchcocked whole chix, thighs, & I do lots of drumsticks to send with my young 'uns for lunch at school. Finally tried marinating/basting in Wishbone Italian dressing & really liked how it turned out - think I'll start fooling with my own recipe for something like this.

Stupid question but what is spatchcock??!
Not a stupid question at all brother. You just cut the back bone out of a whole chicken, maybe remove the sternum bone, (not a big deal for now) and open up the bird flat. You end up laying it flat instead of a whole bird. I don't have any pics, so hope some other brethren will post some to show you. It's easy and absolutely delicious!!

If you do a crotch waffle, then you will get a nice compact and reasonably amalgamated chunk of meat to cook. See image below for a crotch waffle.
August2009Bravesgame002.jpg

Never thought I would say this but may have to try the crotch waffle. :redface: Do you slit the skin to tuck the leg under? Also I cut the wing tips off since they burn and there no meat anyway.

My favorite way to cook chicken at home is to take a nice big roaster and brine it overnight, then spatchcock and rub it under and over the skin (I like Birds and Bones or Yardbird). Inject the breasts with melted butter with a little white pepper mixed in.

Cook at 325 to 350 indirect on the BGE until the IT reaches 155 in the breast. Then remove the plate setter, sauce and go direct for about 15 minutes turning often until the sauce caramelizes and the skin crisps up. Rest it for 15 minutes then cut it up and serve. Juicy and delicious! :thumb:

I do thighs and spatchcocks, almost always hot in the kettle. If I can get it to cruise at 400F offset, then there is where I am. Usually I will add a little glaze to finish it off.

That's what I do with most chicken, 400 indirect. :D

I only cook legs and thighs now days, wifey likes the legs and I like the thighs. Usually dry rub with yardbird (although you have to be careful, it burns really fast).
Then indirect for a while with lump and hickory embers, then sear and sauce with a mixture of blues hog regular and red.

Back