• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A BBQ Brethren Event Sept 21, 2014 Hicksville, NY Fire Dept

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Event: 4th Annual BBQ Cook-off
Location: Cantiague Park, Hicksville, NY. West of the Hicksville Train Station.
Date: Sept 21, 2014
Organizers: Hicksville Fire Dept.
Entry Fee: Only $100.00!
Format: A) People's Choice ribs B) Chicken, Ribs, Beef judged entries utilizing BBQ Brethren contest rules
Application: http://hicksvillehose4cookoff.com

You can arrive the night before anytime after 6pm and before 10pm.

The categories are chicken, pork ribs and beef. You can use the ribs from the People's Choice for your rib category if you'd like.

The application should now be updated for 2014, so you are good to go.

The event is a benefit for the American Heart Association in response to the struggles of a son of one the firemen involved.

There will be live music and a pretty kick butt car show.

The ribs are provided to the teams by the Fire Department.

The event reps will be Linda and Jerry Mullane. The judges will be standard, trained BBQ judges (not celebrities).

Brian (one of the organizers) is having a problem with his email that should be resolved within 48 hours. If you have a question that needs answering prior to that, please post it here.

They are hard at work on the event and look forward to seeing everyone there. I've competed there once and attended 3 times. It's a fun contest run by good people for a great cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were looking for another contest, will have to see if we can do this. Coming from Philly will I be able to get in before the 6pm time

John, I have no idea how long it takes to get here form Philly. I would shoot Brian (the organizer) an email.

Eric

Last edited:
If it's by BBQ Brethren Rules, than I might be out of it. I don't have a 3 sink set-up and I really can't afford to drop $1K right now for my 1st comp. to get one.

woooo hoooo!!

We were looking for another contest, will have to see if we can do this. Coming from Philly will I be able to get in before the 6pm time

Hey Butthead...come join us!! Anything you need say the word!! Miss seein you guys in New Holland... gave up our spot!

Sending in my app today!! Who else is in???:becky::thumb:

oh John it takes about 2 1/2 hours from Philly.

Last edited:
If it's by BBQ Brethren Rules, than I might be out of it. I don't have a 3 sink set-up and I really can't afford to drop $1K right now for my 1st comp. to get one.
3 wash bin are easy...we use bus buckets, I think they are around 6 dollars each and buy lids so you can pack stuff in them when you done...easy and cheap:becky: Any other questions don't hesitate to send me a pm...I'll help you any way I can. We would love for you to come and compete, I can even give you pointers if this is your first or tenth or twenth...lol. Always willing to help!!

I am in.

Pretty new to the site and only have two comp's under my belt. Our team is Struggletown BBQ. I'm from Long Island my brother-In-Law is from upstate.

We competed in the Lake Placid I Love BBQ Festival the past two years. Have done well in NEBS but crushed in KCBS. Looking forward to joining this event.

I notice the application you linked to is still the 2013 form. Should we use this or will there be an updated one?

I just spoke with Brian (one of the organizers) this afternoon and I believe that using last years app is fine as long as you are aware that there might be changes that they will inform you of ahead of time.

To be honest, I don't think that there will be any significant changes.

They hope to have that updated asap.

Eric

I just spoke with Brian (one of the organizers) this afternoon and I believe that using last years app is fine as long as you are aware that there might be changes that they will inform you of ahead of time.

To be honest, I don't think that there will be any significant changes.

They hope to have that updated asap.

Eric

Eric,

Is this contest

A) People's Choice ribs

or

B) Standard 4 category BBQ utilizing BBQ Brethren contest rules

or both? It's very difficult to do people choice ribs and all 4 meats in a single day contest.

Eric,

Is this contest

A) People's Choice ribs

or

B) Standard 4 category BBQ utilizing BBQ Brethren contest rules

or both? It's very difficult to do people choice ribs and all 4 meats in a single day contest.

I will get details for you, but it is definitely a People's Choice rib contest AND a judged BBQ contest. I think that the categories may be simpler than a standard contest and it may be something akin to chicken, ribs, beef and pork, meaning any chicken you want to turn in, any beef, ribs that you are already cooking and any pork.

I'll try to have full info asap.

Eric

3 wash bin are easy...we use bus buckets, I think they are around 6 dollars each and buy lids so you can pack stuff in them when you done...easy and cheap:becky: Any other questions don't hesitate to send me a pm...I'll help you any way I can. We would love for you to come and compete, I can even give you pointers if this is your first or tenth or twenth...lol. Always willing to help!!

I was wondering if that would qualify. Thanks

Thanks Wanna. Help and pateince is what I'm gonna need.

BTW, the team name is going to be "Green Acres BBQ"
Now maybe people will stop wondering what happened to Arnold! :lol:

Pete

Last edited:
I can give you help, but patience...lol, nah I have none!! Any questions just shoot me a pm :mrgreen:
Thanks Wanna. Help and pateince is what I'm gonna need.

BTW, the team name is going to be "Green Acres BBQ"
Now maybe people will stop wondering what happened to Arnold! :lol:

Pete

Ok, here are some updates:

You can arrive the night before anytime after 6pm and before 10pm.

The categories are chicken, pork ribs and beef. You can use the ribs from the People's Choice for your rib category if you'd like.

The application should now be updated for 2014, so you are good to go.

The event is a benefit for the American Heart Association in response to the struggles of a son of one the firemen involved.

There will be live music and a pretty kick butt car show.

The ribs are provided to the teams by the Fire Department.

The event reps will be Linda and Jerry Mullane. The judges will be standard, trained BBQ judges (not celebrities).

Brian (one of the organizers) is having a problem with his email that should be resolved within 48 hours. If you have a question that needs answering prior to that, please post it here.

They are hard at work on the event and look forward to seeing everyone there. I've competed there once and attended 3 times. It's a fun contest run by good people for a great cause.

Eric

Is this event going to by brethern rules? When you say chicken does any chicken work. Same with the beef? Or brisket expected?

Back