• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Enclosed Trailer for Competitions

sweetheatbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am beginning to look into some enclosed trailer for competitions and was hoping to get some input on what to get from everyone's experience. I am looking into a 6x12 or 7x14. Should I consider single or dual axle? I know to get the extra height on the inside for standing. I am wanting to do all prep work in the trailer so I am not sure if the 6ft wide will be wide enough with a table on the inside. Any input would be great. Thanks

i just started using a 6x12 with a fold down counter top.it is a little tight on room.wish i would have went 7x14.with 2 people it is hard to move around without getting in each others way

We went with 7x14 with V front, extra 6" height. Perfect. Single axle since we don't carry heavy smokers.

If the cost difference isn't too much most definately go with double axle. If you blow a tire at least with a double axle you can get to a place to stop easier. I don't have a trailer so I can't help with the room but an extra foot will seem like a lot when you are working inside.

We have a double axle 7 x 14. We put a set of steel wire shelves at the front for our bins, and transport the cookers/tents/tables/coolers in the middle/back. Once the stuff is out, we set up camp cots for sleeping. All prep is done outside under the EZ Ups.

i just started using a 6x12 with a fold down counter top.it is a little tight on room.wish i would have went 7x14.with 2 people it is hard to move around without getting in each others way

Where did you find your fold down counter top? We've been trying to find one online, but haven't come across one yet.

We had a 7x12 V-nose single axle w/7' high ceiling, Rear ramp door, two shelves up front in the nose, 2-4' SS tables and a 2'x3' 4 shelf wire rack, everything else in bins, did all of our prep inside and slept out side on cots under an EZUP.
If I were to do it over again, I would get 8.5'x16' dual axle w/extra ceiling height. The extra room would be worth it especially in bad weather.

We've got a 6 X 10 v-nose, and installed a countertop/cabinets on one side.

It's small, but workable.

Wise man once told me....if you think you need 'xyz', go the next size up. Wise man!

We worked out of a 6x12 V-nose for a couple of years. It's doable but tight. I would say get the biggest trailer that you can afford and can safely pull with you vehicle.

Also, I had mine built with 6" extra height, and after adding in fluorescent lights I barely cleard the lights. (I'm 6'2"). You may want to consider adding 12" extra height.

I've also been researching this exact thing........do a search on here for comp trailer, trailer, ect........there are several great posts with pics. Good luck!

Ron makes a great point get the biggest trailer you can afford and can pull. I went from a 6x12 to an 8.5x20 that has an 10' porch. It is very convenient to leave your cookers on the porch and not have to cook from under an ezup.

We worked out of a 6x12 V-nose for a couple of years. It's doable but tight. I would say get the biggest trailer that you can afford and can safely pull with you vehicle.

Also, I had mine built with 6" extra height, and after adding in fluorescent lights I barely cleard the lights. (I'm 6'2"). You may want to consider adding 12" extra height.

Ron makes a great point get the biggest trailer you can afford and can pull. I went from a 6x12 to an 8.5x20 that has an 10' porch. It is very convenient to leave your cookers on the porch and not have to cook from under an ezup.

Good point! If I were buying a cooking trailer (not a toy hauler) I would look at a trailer with a porch. Yeah, they are more expensive, but you can almost park the trailer and be ready to go.

I bought an 8.5 x 18 with a 4ft Vnose. I built a wall separating the V-Nose from the rest so I can store all my junk in the V w/o it interfering with the kitchen area. Installed some cabinets and a full size fridge. Now I can't imagine being w/o it at a comp. The reason I didn't go with a porch trailer is I didn't like the idea of my smokers staying on the trailer. When i'm at home, I like keeping mine in the shop out of the rain and away from thieves. My trailer has an awning so I can roll them out under it or on the ramp either way.

I got a ford box truck/van. 8'wx15'lx7'h. Cheaper than I could have got a used cargo trailer for. Has a walkthru cab 3' attic above the cap and added a 7' ramp on the back to set the cookers. The only downside is once your set up at a contest your stuck, unless you loaded up a cycle to get around town.

I have an Interstate 6x12 that I cook out of. But I am generally a one person team. Two people can work in it. It depends on how much gear and shelves, cambro's etc. that you stack in it. I set up the dishwashing station outside, the coolers outside under a 10x10 canopy. I guess whether you get the 6x12 or 7x14 depends on the space size that you generally work with at the competition. Mostly we have 20x20 spaces as the norm, so the 6x12 with 10x10 canopy next to it fits in nicely. Axles would depend on how much gear and how heavy the smokers are that you carry. Also 7x14 you would probably need extra mirrors on the truck. Your truck engine capacity, and hence fuel usage also comes into consideration.
I use a 24x48" stainless steel table with wheels to prep and box on. Most things in the trailer roll, so that you can move things around easily if you need to. I used some outdoor carpet from Costco to carpet the trailer with. $20 per roll and I just replace it once a year.

We decided to go used so we could afford a bigger trailer. Ended up with a 8.5x18 and have to say it was the best decision we ever made. The more team members you have the bigger you need to go. We built bunks in the front and prep area in the back. We just got it little over a month ago, so were trying to get a new smoker we can roll out instead pull with another truck.
Good luck and you won't regret anything. Any size is better than what you got!

We bought a 7x12 7"tall Thule .. We have it setup with folding bunks, overhead cabiinets, and use 2' x 4' folding tables to prep on plenty of roon for 2 with the bunks down and tables setup we still have about 16" of space between them... Here is a link to the tread..http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157907 ...We will be in Lexington and Monanock stop by check it out!!!

Back