• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

22.5 wsm

One 22" and one 18" at comps for me. Use one Stoker System controller and 10 cfm fans for each. No water in either pan and only 1 1/2 bags of Kingsford blue for the total contest. I do not need to reload charcoal at any time. To add insulation during the nights, I use a Guru WSM cover on the 22".

Benny

i've been doing something very wrong then for the last 3 years. :noidea:

each 22 ring can hold nearly an entire bag, plus a bag for refuel, and a bag for the chimney. add one for just in case for a total of 5.

i have a stoker too with the 10CFM. don't use it anymore however.

I use the 22 lb. bags of Kingsford if that helps.
As for charcoal starter, between both WSMs, I use maybe 30 briquets total. I let the Stoker System bring the charcoal up to temp. rather than dump a lot of hot coals in to start. The WSM cover from Guru really does keep my charcoal use down on the 22" as it insulates really well.
The 18" WSM is used only starting around 6:30 am until noon so it doesn't use much more that 1/4 of a bag.

Benny

boogi, fwiw you also use a lot more charcoal than me per WSM. I have not needed to refuel a stoked WSM that I can ever recall at any contest. Liek Benny, we run them dry as Stoker recommends.

thanks guys, i use stubbs, it's like a 15 pound bag i think, so that might explain the major discrepency in number of "bags". remove the insurance bag and itsmore like 60 pounds per contest.

i could probably go without filling the ring for the morning short cooks and conserve even more.

nonetheless, if i could do it over and afford it, i'd opt for the backwoods. 8-10 pounds of coal and 6-10 hour burns.

The weight is a lot for one person. Erin and I can get it in and out of the truck just fine, but one person is too much if you are doing it all the time. We used our WSM primarily for chicken last year, but have used it with an Ique on the big meats plenty of times before and works really well.

Smoke Me Silly who won last week cooks on 4 WSM (3 of them 22's) and they use a Stoker to run the 22's. And they also won last year at Hawgin on Lanier. I say give it a whirl.

Yes, I got a hernia at Young Harris loading the G2. Then it hit me....take the grates and charcoal basket out! Yes, you will not believe me but those grates are like 100 lbs....I am going to weigh them when I get home!!! Love the G2!!!

We use 3 22.5 WSM at comps, 2 with the guru and 1 without. We also bring the water up to boiling on a turkey fryer befor putting it into the water pan. The cooker comes up to temp in about 20 minutes that way.

i've been doing something very wrong then for the last 3 years. :noidea:

each 22 ring can hold nearly an entire bag, plus a bag for refuel, and a bag for the chimney. add one for just in case for a total of 5.

i have a stoker too with the 10CFM. don't use it anymore however.

Well since you don't use it, do you want to sell it?

Back