Different Versions Of Buffalo Turds

C

Cecil

I haven't made turds before because I'm not a cream cheese fan. I was thinking of using breakfast sausage instead.
Has anyone tried this or something else instead of cream cheese? Just looking for other ideas.

Yep, I got a special spot in the yard for cream cheese, sour cream, shelf cheese, and parmesian. Hole is dug extra deep for that chit.

I've used shredded mexican blend cheese, jack and cheddar, etc, then stuffed smoked pieces of fatty in there, then wrapped in bacon.

I have done the japs, but really prefer to use poblano's, and stuff more in there. Then, one or two is a meal, rather than going with 6 japs or so. I'll even cut them the long way and do "boats"

And you'd be surprised how wide a heat spectrum a poblano can have. You eat one, its like a bell pepper, try another, and your burning your face off.

Happy experimenting Cecil

Me and the wife have become big fans of Velveeta Light and shredded 2% Kraft (still dieting). We soften the velveeta in the microwave, mix in the shredded, some rub and meat of choice. Sometimes trimmed bacon, sometimes none.

If we use pablanos, I mix in cooked chicken breast for the meat, and saute'd onions and corn. Good stuff Maynard!

Cecil said:
I haven't made turds before because I'm not a cream cheese fan. I was thinking of using breakfast sausage instead.
Has anyone tried this or something else instead of cream cheese? Just looking for other ideas.
WHAT THE HELL IS A BUFFALO TURD? I KNOW WHAT ONE IS. BUT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT THE ONE YOUR COOKIN':icon_smil

puff said:
WHAT THE HELL IS A BUFFALO TURD? I KNOW WHAT ONE IS. BUT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT THE ONE YOUR COOKIN':icon_smil

Puff- Your Caps Lock key is stuck down. Might want to check it.

"Turds- Buffolo Turds--Atomic Buffulo Turds (ABT's)" are Jalepeno or other peppers cleaned out, filled with a variety of cheezes and meats, maybe wrapped in bacon, and then smoked or grilled!

Wonderful appetizers!

A standard here and on the other "sites" :lol:

TIM

The_Kapn said:
Puff- Your Caps Lock key is stuck down. Might want to check it.

"Turds- Buffolo Turds--Atomic Buffulo Turds (ABT's)" are Jalepeno or other peppers cleaned out, filled with a variety of cheezes and meats, maybe wrapped in bacon, and then smoked or grilled!

Wonderful appetizers!

A standard here and on the other "sites" :lol:

TIM
Thanks Kapn sometimes i'ts easier with caps on i'ts like a trademark. Plus you'll always know it's me! (ABT's) too funny!I'll try em' for sure.:shock:

Lots of things come to mind if you do not like cream cheese. Velveeta, mashed potatoes, or Mexican Farmers cheese, etc. You might also try them without the cream cheese and do not add anything. If they are too dry that way then serve them with dip, salsa, or chili con queso. Experiment is good when it comes to BBQ. If they do not turn out any good then just grind them up with some left over brisket and make great lunch time meat salad.

I stuff my ABTs with Italian sausage, shredded mozzarella cheese and a little cream cheese.

We love these. Once I have one, I keep eating until they are all gone.

What temps in the smoker do you use for the ABT's? and what kind of wood? How long? Gonna make these with pablanos. sounds good.
Fraternally,
Neil

Roadmap had a link to a good thread. Good info here....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10703..

i use shreaded mexican 3 these mixed with a little cream cheese and then use a pastry bag to inject it into a cored jalepeno(apple corer to core them). Mix just about anything into the cheese that will fit thru the pastry bag.. seafood, sausage, shreaded brisket or pork... whatever I can find.

I actually like all dairy products

willkat98 said:
Wayne, good to see you, but you are scraping against Earth's core when it comes to where you can find Velveeta in my yard.u

We normally only use Velveeta for soup and cheese dip. And if it were up to me I would use real cheese for these. I also like the cream cheese in my ABT's. But just imagine what all the brain power here might come up with if we really try. I would also like to try japs stuffed with BBQ brisket, chunky bleu cheese and wrapped in Indian fried bread. Then drop the things into a big fryer till the bread is done. If you do not like bleu cheese then maybe you could try tofu. I also have considered stuffing the peppers with feta cheese and a clove of garlic and wraped with gyro meat. When these are smoked you would serve them with tzatziki.

ZBQ said:
What temps in the smoker do you use for the ABT's? and what kind of wood? How long? Gonna make these with pablanos. sounds good.
Fraternally,
Neil

I grow poblanos and stuff them often during season. I use a mixture of shredded cheese, bread crumbs and eggs. Sometime I cap with a slice of sausage. It helps the cheese mixture from oozing out.

As for time and temps, obviously, theyre related (DOH!). I prefer low & slow (relatively; say 200 deg. F. for several hours.

BTW: stuffed poblano's can be taken out after they're done cooled off and frozen.

PS: I made a bunch like that with leftover breakfast links at Greg's last bash.

Thanks Mark!!

One thing though, in all these posts I have never seen anyone say how to tell when they are done. The way they look, time, internal temp??????:roll::roll:

Neil

ZBQ said:
Thanks Mark!!

One thing though, in all these posts I have never seen anyone say how to tell when they are done. The way they look, time, internal temp??????:roll::roll:

Neil
Neil,
If bacon wrapped--when the bacon is done to your satisfaction.
If not wrapped--peppers will soften up and filling will goooozzzeee out some.

Really not important unless you used uncooked meat in the stuffings. :lol:
Matter of taste a personal preference.

TIM

The_Kapn said:
Neil,
If bacon wrapped--when the bacon is done to your satisfaction.
If not wrapped--peppers will soften up and filling will goooozzzeee out some.

Really not important unless you used uncooked meat in the stuffings. :lol:
Matter of taste a personal preference.

TIM
Like the Timster said, this one goes more by look and feel than by temp.

It's all that, but mainly to me it's how they feel when you chew them. You don't want the peppers burnt to a crisp and you don;t want them too chewy/undercooked. And personal tastes may vary with driver and terrain.

Use the ABT recipe of your choice. Remove from smoker and chill. Bread using condensed milk, seasoned flour, crackers or pork rinds crushed to a powder, freeze overnight. Drop in fryer next day.

Jorge said:
Use the ABT recipe of your choice. Remove from smoker and chill. Bread using condensed milk, seasoned flour, crackers or pork rinds crushed to a powder, freeze overnight. Drop in fryer next day.
Lunch? Where is my lunch? Now I'm more hungry!

I'm sure the wife will love this - add fat to something with cheese and bacon already! :twisted:

Back