• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Lessons

I owuld say ASK ASK ASK! - If you forgot somethign ask around. . .I am surprise hoe much people were willing to help me when things failed.

True Story

About 5 years ago. I was cooking Sedalia - a 65 mph strait wind came through, and soaked all my charcoal, flipped over my grill and tore up my EZ up. I was goign to pack it up and go. Then people came over, helped me get some things back in order, Someone gave a big bag of lump, and people got me back on track.

I still smile when I think about it!

I thought I'd add some of my personal experiences from our first competition this past weekend. I know a number of the things mentioned on this thread really helped out (zip ties were a lifesaver in the rainstorm and I made sure we had our tent sides down during turn-in times to avoid visitors with empty guts, for example).

* Organization. Create storage boxes, tool boxes, whatever, for everything you need and make sure it ends up back there so you know exactly where to reach when it's crunch time. Also makes loading and unloading much easier.

* Tall tables make a heck of a difference. We brought standard wooden folding tables and realized after getting only 1/3 of the way through trimming all of the meat that bending that far over for long periods of time does terrible things to your back. I saw a lot of PVC extensions (legs inserted into pieces of PVC) and Bad Bones had some great expandable tables from Costco.

* Again, don't try to do everything yourself. Divide responsibilities, whether assigning each person a category of specific duties. Lay it out in advance and stick to it so you're not stepping on each other.

* If there's grass, why setup your site on dirt? It looked great in the sun, next to the bathrooms and turn-in station, but the downpours turned it into a swamp. I think that's an basic rule of camping too but I was a pretty bad boy scout.

* Make sure your tent is well staked. At about 2am it lifted up and took off like a 12x12 foot kite, breaking a couple legs. Luckily we were able to bend them enough to put it back up, otherwise it would have been an even nastier night in the rain.

* When in doubt, use multiple gauges, especially on our relatively inexpensive smokers. Drilling an extra external thermometer or bringing one extra wireless thermometer would have alerted us much earlier on that the smoker temps were way too low, instead of finding out six hours before turnin and racing to catch up (unsuccessfully on the brisket, unfortunately).

* Above all else, don't take it too seriously, at least out of the gate. I almost drove myself nuts after a bad showing instead of focusing on what did work, what we had overcome, and what we accomplished. One great showing (fifth in grilling on Sat) and one bad showing (37th on Sun) equals one average overall showing with a ton of great lessons, new friends and memories.

- Clint

Good advice, younger me. We had a similar rainstorm last weekend, using the same rebuilt canopy which didn't blow away due to some serious weight from five gallon water jugs, but did partially collapse.

Funny thing is, aside from the wet, it didn't affect us at all. We are so much better organized thanks to my advice above and the countless advice of the great folks here. In the end, though, it just takes patience, practice, and the ability to accept and learn from defeat every so often.

I don't know if it was Plowboy (forgive me if I am wrong), but when I was doing research for my first comp someone posted about the work boxes. When you practice, work out of your boxes. If you have to go to the kitchen for something make sure you write it down so you know to add it to the box. That will let you know you have everything. As Mista's thread said, after the first couple comps you will start to really cut back on what you take with you. The less you take, the less stress there is at set up and tear down time.
After you get home from each comp, go thru your boxes as you clean up and make a note about what you need to replace before next time. We do about one comp every two months. That gives plenty of time to make little purchases and eases the pain of the price to compete for a low budget team like us.

One huge mistake we made at the last comp of the year for us, I tried to cook extra meat for a church picnic the next day. 14 extra butts. I thought I had the time down for it to be done before rib time, but it was way too close and way too much stress. We do take orders from friends, co-workers and family and cook that meat for them on Friday or just take it out of extra butts after turn in times. It helps some of the guys on my team afford to come play.

I get a competition lesson every contest as I get my ass kicked.

As he gives a lesson... holding the 20th place placard up at the Royal... sharing that the secret to his ribs was over-cooking them :twisted:

Two lessons I have learned.

1.) trim your chicken the day before and foodsaver it or just put in big baggies
in the cooler...BIG time saver.....Newbies remember, no seasoning or marinating ...just trimming.

2.) Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your ribs and brisket slices are COMPLETELY
cut through!!

Pick each rib up separately and place in the box.......

Don't ask me how I know........:oops::roll:

Two lessons I have learned.

1.) trim your chicken the day before and foodsaver it or just put in big baggies
in the cooler...BIG time saver.....Newbies remember, no seasoning or marinating ...just trimming.

2.) Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your ribs and brisket slices are COMPLETELY
cut through!!

Pick each rib up separately and place in the box.......

Don't ask me how I know........:oops::roll:

Words to live by - almost got dq this summer for hanging chads on the ribs :icon_pissed

After all of this good advice, the main things to remember:

1) Have fun....
2) Learn from your mistakes...

and my new things to remember:

1) NEVER change anything at a comp :icon_blush: ... do what you do best
2) Don't drop the first two slabs of ribs in the dirt when you only bring three... :icon_blush: :icon_blush:

And I know, no one else has ever done this before either.....

Bill

New 2 Comp

We are NEWBIES to Comp. --- among the many lessons. Designate a clean, extra cooler with a towel for 'early' meat to rest.

I put a case of beer in it the nite before...which means it must be consumed -- to 'make room for the meat'. Any excuse to 'crack cans'.:icon_smil

Ultimate rookie mistake. Sadly a true story...

First comp, after spending three days reminding people what they are supposed to bring to the event, we arrive and set. We get everything ready and pass inspection. Then, it's time to light up...

Where are the matches? :icon_blush::rolleyes:

There's a thin line between enjoying yourself and having a good time. If you want to have a good time, I know of a thousand better ways to spend $700 for a good time. This is a contest, a competition, treat it as such. Besides, you "having fun" could be a nuisance to your neighbors.

I should add too, that BBQ people are the freindliest people in this country. If you have a question, ask. If you need help, ask.

If you are using boiling hot grease for an anything butt entry, do not let said hot grease onto your gloved hand, then catch on fire causing you to spill an even larger amount of the boiling grease onto your bare wrist and into the aforementioned glove...come to think of it, you can probably apply that one to cooking away from comps too.

In addition to Diver's comments:
Do not attempt to pick up firebrick that's been in firebox for the past 12 hours with only a food service glove - assuming you're hand is actually inside a welding glove. If you do, make sure you have a cooler full of ice cold water very close.

Pay close attention to all the stuff you DON'T use. Get rid of all the extra crap - that way clean-up will be easier! Do you REALLY need 2 10x10 tents? Do you really need 4 prep tables? These are the questions we had to ask ourselves after our first comp.

Are you trying to mock me? LOL!
We downsize for a few contests, but when the warden wants it her way-she gets it!

Sage advice all...:cool: Here are my top 3...

1. Game plan...
2. Pack list...
3. Meat pre-prep...

Good luck folks! :biggrin:

Our first and only comp was last year and I would say my list would be:

1) Water bucket of some sort (we forgot them)
2) Pre-prep/trimming of food
3) Ice can be expensive on site
4) We had a few 2-day practice runs with turn in boxes leading up to the event
that helped a ton!
5) Don't be scared that your doing something wrong. Everyone has there own
way and no one will think your stupid for lighting your pit at a different time
or putting your meat on an hour later than you neighbor.

We had a blast and got a call in chicken which we thought was pretty cool!! We did well at our first event last year and Donkey Punch BBQ will be doing 4-5 more this year, just not sure where yet :)

I forgot the most important thing. Take a class! No joke, here. It takes humility to sumbit yourself to another person's expertise. But there is now way to to learn more than by spending time with a proven master. It worked for the Karate Kid - it'll work for you.

I'd actually argue that it would be beneficial to compete at least 3 times prior to spending good money on a class.
- get a feel for the competition so when the instructor is going over things you immediately know why rather then wonder why
- make sure you have the desire to compete, we've all went out and bought something with the feeling it was gonna be our next favorite time waster - then we tried it and it wasn't as fun as it sounded. Tangible toys can at least be sold to cut the loss. While learnings in class can still be applied to the backyard - it would still be a tough pill to swallow if it were me

Last edited:
Back