• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Membership & BOD Candidate Disappointment

Or you could truly take up your chosen banner and *be* that voice of the backyard cook at KCBS by running for the Board yourself. Now is the time to start stumping the circuit for the 2014 election!

For myself, I find the small fee of KCBS membership delivers a great deal more benefit than many other organizations I've given to over the years. But then I'm a pro cook, CBJ and contest organizer, so the focus on competition suits me.

the guy is in MN...you really think there is a snowball chance he gets elected to the board. Doesnt compete, doesnt judge, doesnt organize, and I doubt he is a Walton. Seems like a tough road to hoe.

identifying an issue and having the time, talent, and treasure to fix it are 2 totally different things.

you might be right, but you are no martyr.

My point is that there will be some who read that (or already have) and will take to take action against me, or fail to take action for me, because I don't support the organization. I've been told that multiple times already. That's the kind of thing that isn't scaring me right now.

dmp

Eric, it had better not be puffery when they declare this to the IRS on their tax return in support of their not-for-profit status!

What "education of barbecue cooking" does KCBS have? Does selling BBQ cookbooks for profit count? This is an honest question?

dmp

Or you could truly take up your chosen banner and *be* that voice of the backyard cook at KCBS by running for the Board yourself. Now is the time to start stumping the circuit for the 2014 election!

For myself, I find the small fee of KCBS membership delivers a great deal more benefit than many other organizations I've given to over the years. But then I'm a pro cook, CBJ and contest organizer, so the focus on competition suits me.

Bingo. Well stated, Gowan.

My 2 cents worth from a fellow Minnesotan.

At our contest I have seen active participation, help, guidance, and encouragement for both our backyard contestants and our Kids Q participants and parents from our KCBS Reps.

2 of those Reps are Don Harwell and David Londeen - both running for the BOD.

Both agree that backyard is a feeder program for the KCBS contests so they willingly participate in those parts of our events.

Actions speak louder than words. You may not have heard the campaign rhetoric that you were looking for. But I have seen the interest and the actions at work that demonstrate their commitment .

KCBS is worthy in my book. Not perfect. The place to make change is from the inside working within the system, not outside.

MN BBQ Society is a great place to be. You would be most welcome there. Our annual banquet is Jan 26th. Time enough to join and come have a good time with us.There are cooks, judges, and organizers all working together to make BBQ better in MN.
Oh, and David Londeen is President of MN BBQ Society.

What ever you decide to do, please stay active and stay vocal.

Thanks!

I think you have hit the nail on the head. As a judge who cooks occasionally, I find myself asking the same question about the value of KCBS membership. I've been a member since 2003 and am having a difficult time with the notion of membership. Why should I pay to join something where the benefits are minimal? You are asking the right question. If I was you, I'd dump KCBS and then get involved in your local BBQ group. In my case, we are very pro-active in Louisiana about helping new cooks. We have a Best Head Cook program where we give out prizes and money (hopefully soon) to the best new head cook. In fact, one of our new head cooks (first year cooking at contests) was GRAND CHAMPION at one of our bigger contests! This is where local BBQ groups really shine. They typically know the lay of the land and know what is needed at the local level.

I probably should slap my fingers off the keyboard! <<I hear you, Jorge...>>

KCBS gives back plenty. Ask the kids of KCBS members who applied for and received a grants in aid to help pay for their education. Ask the organizations who received grant money to further their missions, from a kids' group buying cookers to senior Q. Things like this aren't shouted from the rooftops and not near as interesting as slinging dirt around.

KCBS provides a framework for organizers to put together contests, officials to officiate the contests, trained judges who know the judging method and structure for the cooks competing. $35 a year gives you the Bullsheet every month that's less than $3 for each issue. I don't use any of the other member discounts, but I may sometime.

Those of you who do not know me, I admit up front I AM BIASED towards KCBS. I have served it's members for 2 years and 11 months on the board of directors and I have been president for the last year and 11 months. KCBS isn't perfect, but it provides the structure and method for a pastime I enjoy very much.

I am not very smart but, I thought the KCBS was primarily for those who compete, judge, or rep. If you took the competitors, judges, and reps out of the mix for KCBS would there even really be a reason for the KCBS? As mentioned above the KCBS is a BBQ sanctioning body that sanctions BBQ competitions and this is the reason why competitors, judges, and reps. get the just of the attention within that sanctioning body.

I will stand on a chair and say it. the KCBS has awarded my foundation Grants and it is much appreciated by myself that they believe in me and my cause enough to support it.

Not sure if I am supposed to announce that. But I can tell you that it makes me swell with pride that they do it for us. I believe enough in the KCBS that I am now a lifetime member.

KCBS is making more available to the backyard cooks. They are sanctioning grilling contests. These are 1 day burger, steak, wings contests. We held one here in las Vegas and Whiskey Ranch in AZ will have a few this year. Lower entry fees and a great chance for backyarders to get the feel and excitement of a cooking competition.

You Know I go through this every year when my membership and/or a vote for BOD comes up. In the end I pay my membership.

I do not shop at RD (not one near me), I do not stay at the hotels (can get a better deal on the Internet).

Is the Bullsheet worth it, hard to say - can find a lot of the information on the Internet.

The BOD has been a disapointment for me. I voted last year on change - I have not seen much of that.

In the end I pay, because when friends of mine put on events - they get the support of the KCBS and the rules are clear, and when I compete it is at even as possible.

Just imagine what competition would be like without the rules we have in place - cook a backyard once and watch the mayor win (the same guy who ate 1/2 of a slab of your ribs saying how great they are).

If you don't like what an organization does either work to change it from within or don't be a part of the organization. No one is forcing anyone to join or stay joined. It's $35/year for Gods sake. If it's not worth it to you, move on an quit complaining about it.

If you don't like what an organization does either work to change it from within or don't be a part of the organization. No one is forcing anyone to join or stay joined. It's $35/year for Gods sake. If it's not worth it to you, move on an quit complaining about it.

I agree. Those people with their silly opinions should just keep them to themselves! How dare any one suggest that things aren't as good as they should be. We should all give money hand-over-fist so that they can give it away to some one else. Any one who disagrees with us doesn't deserve to have a voice. Cut their tongues out! Break their fingers so they can't talk! Find a way to keep them away from the rest of us!

dmp

Here's a good example that agrees with your point. I once was a fairly serious tennis player. The United States Tennis Association covers the whole gamut - from recreational leagues to the U.S. Open. Gives the whole association a much different tenor.

I don't feel I've ranted in this thread, but if expressing an opinion and clarifying facts counts as one, color me guilty. Most also know that I was punished for the actions of some one else. I'm glad you feel you get value out of your $35 Sterling. As I've said before, you're welcomed to ignore me. Why do you continue to read what I have to say if you're so tired of it?

dmp

I probably should slap my fingers off the keyboard! <<I hear you, Jorge...>>

KCBS gives back plenty. Ask the kids of KCBS members who applied for and received a grants in aid to help pay for their education. Ask the organizations who received grant money to further their missions, from a kids' group buying cookers to senior Q. Things like this aren't shouted from the rooftops and not near as interesting as slinging dirt around.

KCBS provides a framework for organizers to put together contests, officials to officiate the contests, trained judges who know the judging method and structure for the cooks competing. $35 a year gives you the Bullsheet every month that's less than $3 for each issue. I don't use any of the other member discounts, but I may sometime.

Candy,

I am happy to hear that you are comfortable with the membership where it is, but it disappoints me that KCBS would not work towards growing membership with the thousands, if not millions, of casual backyard BBQ enthusiasts. You say KCBS gives back plenty, but as a member I have never heard anything about any charitable giving aside from the Jan bullsheet where the grants in aid application was hiding between some ads. It is not my intention to attack or shame the KCBS, but the response that I have gotten not only from you but many others, affirms my suspicion that KCBS is not a the community orientated, education focused, and charitable organization it's mission statement spouts, and I expected it to be. So many others have already said what the true mission is of KCBS, it is not to teach, not to preserve, but to sanction BBQ competitions.

I however do take offense to those that seem to think that me asking these questions is some how wasteful of their time. "It is only $35 for God's sake..." I am sorry that I ask why things are the way they are, I am sorry that you don't have the patience or tolerance to answer and have a reasonable conversation. Candy, you are right when you say that KCBS is not perfect. Pappy, I only asked these questions as a fairly new member seeking to understand. You guys can all enjoy your little club...

Look if its rehashing Harry Soo or diving into any KCBS site with the same venom...you are sadly predictable and yes I will ignore you.

I wonder who has the most ignores here?

If someone doesn't like something, leave it alone. I will say when you start getting flip with Candy or Sterling, you are clueless. Calling it a little club is foolish and childish also. As pointed out if you don't like things, make an effort to change them in the proper way. Not keyboard attention to yourselves. Don't like things move on. No big deal, just don't whine and not expect an earfull. Steve.

As sorta said above, no one is holding you at gun point to force you to re-new your membership. If you can't perceive a value in membership, then don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!!!

Perhaps KCBS should restate their mission statement. Or perhaps not.

When I became a member in 1995, there were about 45 KCBS sanctioned cook-offs. There were a few state or regional societies that I remember, Gobs, PNWA and maybe NEBS. No bbq related TV shows. Where are we today? How many different bbq societies, TV shows and KCBS cook-offs are there presently? I'm sure we can hand some credit to MIM(MBN) IBCA, FFA, FBLA, VICA, DECA, :blah::blah::blah:etc, but I'm getting off track. I would say that most of the credit for the proliferation of this BBQ craze should go to KCBS. And along with that, as stated above, is a proliferation of BBQ products associated with this hobby, sport, sickness. And, along with all of that, a greater BBQ education for the masses. Heck, without this greater education, we might be left scratching our head and wondering what all the rave about Steve Raichlen's Beer Butt Chicken was about.:crazy:

And as said above, the great success of KCBS, has had allowed them to be benevolent towards many different things. Youngster education, more backyard promotions, the Great BBQ tour they have is 3-5 five years old, Senior Que, and even giving to Scottie's Foundation.

So, if there is no perception of value, good luck spending your 35 bucks elsewhere. As a great man once told me, "you can lead a horse to water, but before you push him in, think about how bad a wet horse smells".

YMMV

Back