• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NY State Championship on 4/12/14

CodyJ.

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
It's a KCBS competition that I will be competing in. It will be my first large scale competition. Takes place on Staten Island, rain or shine.

I need some tips on how to make sure I get all the boxes checked that need to be by the judges. What do they really look for?
I always use greens with my boxes. Including presentation, please hook me up with some tips that will help me score in all categories. Dark bark? light bark? should I put some burnt ends in with the slices of brisket? should I take out all of the cartilige for the ribs prior to cooking (this can be a pain in the a$$).

Thanks for the help!!

--C

Last edited:
Wow, really jumping in the deep end!
Read the KCBS rules carefully. Garnish must be specific greens.
I would scour YouTube for videos. Also on Netflix they have BBQ Pitmasters show, season 1. Only on that season did they show actual comps. Other episodes are chopped-style.
Definitely add burnt ends if they come out good. And yes, you need to trim the ribs to a St. Louis style.
Have you considered helping out a team first?

It's a KCBS competition that I will be competing in. It will be my first large scale competition. Takes place on Staten Island, rain or shine.

Congrats on your first Large Comp...NOW RUN BEFORE YOU ARE ADDICTED

I need some tips on how to make sure I get all the boxes checked that need to be by the judges. What do they really look for?

Presentation - most people will say pretty garnish doesn't matter, but it does. If it takes away from the main entry and draws your eyes then it needs to fixed. Complement and enhance your entry, not overshadow or draw attention away.
Make sure your chickens are alike but not cloned. ie. If all your chickens are perfect hockey pucks some judges think "that just ain't natural" and could mark you down.
Make sure the sauce doesn't clump on top of any of your entries but especially chicken. (both taste and appearance scores will be effected)
Make sure to make all cuts smooth. No jagged edges on Ribs or Briskey
Only turn in Burnt Ends if you feel they are AMAZING...not just AMAZING, but a gift from the BBQ Gods above. They will bite you in your butt if they ain't.
Color of Bark - It don't matter dark unless it doesn't look pretty or unless it tastes burnt. Mix it in with the Pulled Pork and make sure there is enough for all the judges.
You do not EVER, EVER want a judge to hit anything but center bone and meat in your ribs. EVER. The more you clean that rib (yeah, it sucks) the better chance of not bombing tenderness.

Any other questions?

Have a plan and a timeline for everything. Figure out where and how you will get some sleep. Research, practice, repeat. Good luck. See you there.

I will also be competing in the NYC BBQ Cookoff. I registered last week.

Like the others have said, there are a number of resources online to help prepare you. I am by no means a seasoned competitor, but part of the fun is learning through experience and watching what others do at the competitions.

Hope to see you there.

I suggest you have a check list of the things that you plan on taking.
This will keep you somewhat organized. Be careful not to pack too much.
This is much easier said then done.

Good luck and stop by our camp and say hello.

Just got my registration in today. Taino Smokehouse CT. Please come on by and say hi if you are there

Back