IBCA Judging Criteria

The best thing about this type of judge is that it levels the playing field. I think it is idea for beginners and those who don't want to fuss with their entry after they cook it.

In KCBS it is hard to win much without knowing exactly what to put in the box and how to put it in. Case in point, I am thinking about turning in my chicken the way Moe does. How many judges and others know exactly what I am talking about?

Makes me laugh when people slam TX BBQ rules. We seem to do just as well at the KCBS comps down here with certified judges. As long as judges stay consistant with their judging and judge each entry on the same criteria, the cream rises to the top.

100's of teams, if not more, every weekend. Many times with no power or water provided.

The alternative is to A. not compete, B. drive many hours in any cardinal direction to get to a KCBS event.

Which is why the whole, "I had to cart water at a Sam's event" stuff cracks me up.

But good Que is good Que and those that produce it do quite well. The 3 main organizations in my area, IBCA, Texas Gulf Coast and Lonstar BBQ do a good job and I'm just appreciative that someone is putting on events.

Well said Ranger, bottom line is that the good bbq wins and wins consistently regardless of who the judges are or what association your cooking in. There are plenty of online threads about the baloney that goes on in kcbs too, no system is perfect but they are all good and always trying to improve and make things better for the cooks. I for one am grateful that someone gives us an opportunity to go have fun doing what I like to do with people who enjoy it as much as I do. I do love being an IBCA HJ too but always prefer to cook and have fun than judge.

Y'all have fun.

Back