Drum style smoker finish

Freddy j

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Want to get a little discussion going on types of finish that brethren have used (such as powder coat, spray paint , or other ) and the results over time.

I have a drum style cooker on the way to me and just want to explore the question above in case I might want to look into it one day.

Thank you.

I'm curious about this too. I have a Lodge Sportsman's Grill (cast iron hibachi) and that beautiful seasoning that works so well on frying pans just burns off the grill body the first time you fire it up. I found one post where someone used 2000º rustoleum spray paint to paint it. Unless someone has a better suggestion here, that's what I plan to go with. The hibachi probably gets hotter than a UDS since it is open and the charcoal is in direct contact with the shell.

Powder coating is a good choice. It lasts for a long time but scratches easily which makes it a pain to touch up. I've used the rustoleom BBQ pit spay paint a few times and it holds up pretty well. Another good choice is high temp engine block or header paint. It can be found in a variety of colors and is good to somewhere around 750* I think.

I use flat black BBQ spray paint. They're cheap, I always have a can handy, and the drum can get touch-ups whenever it needs them.

I checked with a powder coating company here in jacksonville. He was hesitant to powdercoat my Lang 84D. The parts of my pit that require the most attention just got too hot for powdercoating. In addition when I clean my pit I take the temp to 350+ . He recommended ceramic coating in the problem areas (fire box and the junction area) His thoughts wwere that if the high temp BBQ paint that I use was protecting the remainder of the pit to save my money and just do the problem areas. This sounded good to me because the whole pit/chargrill/trailer would be about $3000.00. Mama already thinks I am over the top with marble counter tops.

Look for boiler paint. It is usually good for up to 4000 degrees but not easy to find

I've seen drums painted in team colors , I'm looking to build one also ( I already have a new unlined drum ) anyone have an idea on the type of paint being used?

I went the Walmart route and bought the High Temp. Rustoleum paint.
Moderately priced and you can find it everywhere. It works.
I did mine in Gloss Black. Not very original, I admit, but cheap and handy.
My UDS isn't a fashion plate, but it isn't gonna rust either.

Gloss Black has the added advantage of grease not really showing when
I hang my lid on the side of my barrel.

UDS? Paint? Why?:shock::confused: Sorta defeats the purpose of the cheap & easy.

Rust is a finish.

Last edited:
Napa sells a VHT (very high temp) paint that I believe is used on headers. I have used it on two barrels and have had no issues, even when I let my uds get over 500 degrees (kinda maybe forgot about it) ruined all my seasoning on the inside, but didn't blemish the outside at all

Back