Full KCBS contest on a Mini WSM

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just got home from judging the 2nd Annual Cowboy Up Rodeo and BBQ in Lancaster, CA, but before leaving stopped by to say hello to Harry Soo from Slap Yo Daddy.

He confirmed that he cooked the entire contest on a single Mini WSM (tamale pot smoker) using a Smokey Joe Gold as the base.

Can't wait to see the results, as this would put an exclamation point on the cook vs cooker discussion !!!

Here is the proof
1375067_10151710094216586_1752756490_n.jpg

Butt and brisket went in together, 7lb brisket, on two different levels. Once those came off ribs and chicken went on. The ribs were trimmed down so they could lay in flat and fit. The results should be coming in very soon.

Harry is either insane, or a genius, and I have my guess. Wow!

He shows many pictures on his FB page. I still can't believe it.

I'm not a fan of competition BBQ, but I do like a rebel who shakes things up. If he scored points with a mini-WSM, I gotta' tip my hat to him.

CD

Waaay cool!!

Have wondered about doing a one-day comp here in PNWBA land on a couple of minis (chicken, ribs, tri-tip and sausage). Never could get out of the "what if" stage.

Good for Harry!! Gotta go check out his FB page...

All the attention might have put his finish farther down than normal. He's usually right on top. I've seen him struggle in the wind, rain and all he does is win. Very good time managment and methods. Steve.

My site was across from Harry's and I enjoyed watching Harry cook on the mini WSM. It is amazing how he combined his engineering background and great cook skills to pull this off. The timing was essential. He used a small rib rack and the 3 racks of ribs were trimmed to 9 bones each. It fit perfectly. Hats off to him.

I loved when Harry was explaining to us how he used a beer can chicken holder inverted to create a 3rd mid level grate so he could fit more chicken. That spur of the moment engineering made his rib rack raise a bit further and the lid of the smoker was a little loose, so he used a bungee cord to hold the lid down and 2 KBB briquettes to in between the cord and the lid so that the cord wouldn't burn. This guy is insane...and a genius. We hit the same rib table and he ranked first on the table...2nd overall in ribs. Great to see in-person.

what's really impressive is that he carried all his other equipment there in the glove compartment of his yaris! :grin:

If he only knew that a Weber Smokey Joe was 14" instead of the 12" he keeps posting about.

But it's the innerwebs, accuracy or spelling don't matter.

Back