• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Winter Burn 2014, Feb 16, 2014 - Des plaines, IL

supposed to be around 30, that's a heat wave compared to weather of late!. surprised they don't already have enough teams and judges! Hope it's a full house.
BTW rdstol, feel free to stop by and say hello to us if you're there also. I can't get to our banner right now as our trailer is surrounded by 5-6' walls of snow and ice, but we'll be the ones with the canvas EZ-up walls

WALLS!!! It's going to be 30, where's the shorts?

WALLS!!! It's going to be 30, where's the shorts?

I'll be behind a couple of walls in my EZ Up, too. I also bought some heavy duty insulated coveralls just for Sunday. They have come in pretty handy when shoveling snow, and my wife says I won't be winning any best dressed awards, but I have every intention of wearing them no matter how "hot" it gets! I'm stubborn like that...:doh:

CBJs needed for Des Plaines, IL Winter Burn this weekend!

Hey all, I know this is short notice but trying to help some friends get a few more CBJs for their competition this weekend. The 2014 Winter Burn BBQ Competition is held in Des Plaines, IL at the River Rand Bowl. Judging will be on Sunday, February 16. They have four categories (Sausage, Chicken, Pork Ribs, and Pork Loin).

It's a small contest for charity and is not KCBS sanctioned but most of the teams competing are KCBS so they prefer to provide CBJs. Beginning this year they will be donating proceeds to Operation BBQ Relief (we will have an OBR table there and some raffles as well to help promote). I've cooked or judged in this contest the last several years and it is a good and for a good cause.

If you are a CBJ and available to judge on Sunday afternoon you can submit your application via their website: http://www.kresmokers.net/winterburn-judge-form.html

Thanks much for the consideration.

Thanks for posting this. Got an email from the organizer earlier today. I put this info on another bbq site where it had no mention at all. Came here to bump RonL's thread and found you beat me to it!:-D

This contest was a darn good time. It was great to see some familiar faces, and to meet a few new folks. Glad the snow waited until Monday to dump on us, again. Congrats to all that got calls, and thanks to those that came to judge, too. I'm permanently adding the Winter Burn to my list of competitions for the year!

I had a great time too. Although it was a below average day for February, it was better than 95% of the days this particular winter. We dodged a bullet.

It was good to see Dann and Diane (Stoke&Smoke), Dan (cmohr74), RonL and Matt (ITBFQ) as well as meeting some new peeps. Now I understand what Matt's call sign stands for! Great hospitality by River Rand Bowl and the organizers.

Congrats to all who got calls.

The Pit Men will be back next year. I hope to see you guys around this summer.

And I'm happy to announce that between OBR sweatshirt raffle tickets, the 50/50 raffle, and some cash donations we were able to raise $645 for disaster relief that will be donated to OBR on behalf of Keith and Rebecca Engstrom of KRE Smokers.

Back