Anything Butt?

Butt Rubb'n BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Going to a contest that has a anything Butt category. Has anyone entered this before? Does that mean cook anything besides a Butt or pork all together?
If so what kind of things were turned in? Thanks for the help.

It means you can cook anything butt the typical 4 BBQ categories. A lot of times people do seafood, but you can cook whatever you like. If there is not a dessert category you could even do that. There are no rules about garnish or fitting in in a box. There just needs to be enough food for 6 judges. Sometimes you can even pre-make things prior to arrival at the contest. Check with the organizer. Good luck!

Eggspert

We try to turn in desert if it's allowed, if not smoked mac-n-cheese.

next contest I'm trying Wampus baked beans, and hopefully write him a royalty check :clap2:

Most memorable "anything butt" I got to judge last year was...

Luther burger (google it) and once had chicken and waffles!

:clap::clap::clap:

It means you can cook anything butt the typical 4 BBQ categories. A lot of times people do seafood, but you can cook whatever you like. If there is not a dessert category you could even do that. There are no rules about garnish or fitting in in a box. There just needs to be enough food for 6 judges. Sometimes you can even pre-make things prior to arrival at the contest. Check with the organizer. Good luck!

Eggspert

Yes and no.

Normally (in KCBS comps) it means anything other than the 4 main meat categories; the organizer can set whatever rules he wishes. Some will let you do whatever trips your trigger, some will say no to seafood or desserts. Some will say that KCBS garnish rules apply, some say anything goes.

The only rules for an Anything Butt category are those that the organizer sets down. The KCBS Reps will enforce those rules but KCBS doesn't make those rules.

The only way to know for sure is to have the contest organizer send you a written copy of the rules for this category. And what's a winner at one comp just might get you a DQ at another one.

We've done Kal Bi at two contests for AB. 2nd and 1st calls.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure the total out-of-pocket cost of your turn-in is worth the reward. We've seen teams spend hundreds of $ for a cheap plaque. To each their own I say.

Most memorable "anything butt" I got to judge last year was...

Luther burger (google it) and once had chicken and waffles!

:clap::clap::clap:
Googled it, wish I didn't. That could be either gross or the greatest thing ever (either way I'll do my heart a favor and give that a wide berth).

next contest I'm trying Wampus baked beans, and hopefully write him a royalty check :clap2:

No check needed sir! I hope you score!

The first time I entered an "Anything But" I turned in my Peach Bourbon Baked Beans and won 2nd place.
1st place was a ribeye steak dinner, cooked in a tavern across the street from the comp and walked over to turn ins (the category was open to the general public).

We do pretty good with desserts too for "Anything But" at comps. By the end of the day, judges are pretty worn out with rich BBQish stuff so a nice cool, sweet dessert seems to score well.

Last yr we fired up some brats in our first comp, took 3 rd overall, and won the WV govenors cup for backyard division. Not a bad deal for the price of some brats.

One warning, if you haven't done a bunch of comps, make sure that you have your primary entries down pat before you add something else to your list.

Good note! We make a checklist and make sure no step overlaps another and it makes a world of difference in time management.

Back