You have $2,000. Which.....

The peoria custom smoker 24x48 byc is an offset with standard baffles. Adjustable tuning plates are optional and can be adjusted while cooking.

Did some research on LSGz and there smokers are as well top notch from their reviews and youtube videos.

If you want to win, Jambo is hot on the circuit right now. Not the easiest for catering just because you have to tend the fire to keep consistent.

Nah, send your money to Tuscaloosa Alabama! Paul Shirley will build you an amazing smoker for $2k! I know - I have one.

shirleyfabrication.com

I have no experience with either...

There are so many more choices to look at. I spent a year doing research and finally went with an insulated vertical because an 8 pound bag of charcoal will give me a 14 + hour burn with plenty of room for large cooks.

Make a list of you needs, then your wants, and keep the two issues separate, somewhere in between will be your compromise.

You will choose what fits your needs best.

This has been great, thank you for your feedback. Where I was landing was trying to decide between so e if the best products between the two types of cooking I was looking into, offset vs. pellet poopers.

I've had some PM's and I'm really interested now in Lonestar Grillz product. Anyone have any experience with their 20 or 24'' offset horizontal cookers?

Thank you for your input...

I don't have the Lonestar vertical, but I did just get the 24" vertical offset, and I am extremely pleased with the quality.... I would have no reservation recommending Lonestar to anyone considering a Klose, Jambo, Gator etc.

Good feedback, this thread has been invaluable. I'm landing with what I know how to do and that is stick burning.... I have a UDS but I just can't get away from offset cooking.

I actually PM'd Muscrat to see if he'd be in the business of making a pit for me for way cheaper and way quicker than Jambo. It basically resembled a jambo but with a single door. Would love to add a second set of shelves.

Still pretty interested in the price of the Lonestar Grillz offset cookers. As an upgrade, they can do a double insulated firebox. Just an FYI.

I'm not fond of the reverse flows. A lot of folks have told me those cookers are fuel monsters with having to pump in extra wood for heat to make around the deflector.

If I were going the route of a vertical, the Battle Box and Pitmaker Safe's look legit!

I don't have the Lonestar vertical, but I did just get the 24" vertical offset, and I am extremely pleased with the quality.... I would have no reservation recommending Lonestar to anyone considering a Klose, Jambo, Gator etc.

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you find that you put in as much wood as a traditional offset or do you use less wood in your offset vertical? Looks pretty sweet from your picture.

I have a lonestargrillz vertical insulated smoker. I went there to pick it up and saw his offset cookers. I can tell you they are tanks. Super heavy duty and very well built. Plus Chris is a good guy. Id recommend at least giving them a closer look.

Guys I'm excited to say that I drove down and met up with Muscrat and am having a custom pit built by him! Will be posting pics in a new thread. Thanks all for your input! Especially SmittyJonz for mentioning the build by Muscrat!

my 2 cents is look at the peoria's. Being from IL (they are made in Peoria IL)we see a lot of them at comps and they are well built cookers.

Back