A-Maze-N Smoker truly is Amazen

Marwendholt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well after reading a ton of reviews, If finally pulled the trigger on an A-Maze-N pellet smoke generator. Tested it on on my Masterbuilt propane smoker this weekend (I know, the shame of using propane, but I didn't feel like watchin the stick burner all day). I did a pork butt and two chickens for my future stepson's 2nd birthday, and I have to say I was extremely impressed. Once it was lit i just let it go. Perfect amount of smoke on the butt and the chicken was to die for, I plan on smokin some cheese tonight,(not sure what kind though open to suggestions). Sorry for not havin pics, definitely will have some of the cheese.

Do you use pellets or dust?

I used my pellet version yesterday for bacon and it worked as advertised. With the humidity down here I have to nuke the pellets for a few minutes to drive out some moisture...think of it as pre-heating the pellets!

I plan on smokin some cheese tonight,(not sure what kind though open to suggestions). Sorry for not havin pics, definitely will have some of the cheese.

I would suggest some cabot pepperjack, monterey jack and chedder. These turned out real well on the ones I have done. Careful with the smoke, you can over do it real easy.

Last edited:
My AMNPS arrives in the mail tomorrow, I can wait! As far as cheese goes, try some gouda too, I've smoked it in the past and its awesome. I've yet to do any spicy cheese but look forward to it.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I got talked into one of these too. Hopefully, mine should arrive here from Big Poppa this week. If it does, I'll be smoking some cheese this weekend.

Question for those that have the pellet version, do you think it makes less smoke than the wood chunk on top of charcoal method? Do I need to smoke cheese longer using on of these? In searching, I saw several posts by Thirdeye who said he smoked chease for 3 to 4 hours using these because of this issue.

I keep hoping I wasn't on the naughty list :tsk: and Santy Claus will put one under the tree for me :grin:!! If not, I'm buying one after the season!:heh:

Cheese is on, thanks to daylight savings time, all mt evening grillings and smokings are done in the dark. Anywho, I'm trying some pepperjack, cheddar, colby jack and cream cheese.

QCnmt.jpg

KbIfN.jpg

k57uq.jpg

20121210_182336_zps887207b2.jpg.html

Last edited:
I used the Treager pellets, they were the only ones available locally this time of year.

I too use Traeger pellets as they are cheaper than A-maze-N pellets.

It does work great and I have used it for cold smoking with no heat of any type, works great here too for cold or hot smoking...

Last edited:
Question for those that have the pellet version, do you think it makes less smoke than the wood chunk on top of charcoal method?

Do I need to smoke cheese longer using on of these? In searching, I saw several posts by Thirdeye who said he smoked chease for 3 to 4 hours using these because of this issue.

Yes it does create slightly less smoke than chunks on charcoal, but the benefit of the unit is that you can smoke without charcoal or any other heat source. Thus the "cold smoking" of cheese and fish without monitoring temperatures.

My cheese is usually done in 2 hours adequately smoked, maybe the volume (size) of the smoker determines the extended exposure of the cheese to the smoke?

Yes it does create slightly less smoke than chunks on charcoal, but the benefit of the unit is that you can smoke without charcoal or any other heat source. Thus the "cold smoking" of cheese and fish without monitoring temperatures.

My cheese is usually done in 2 hours adequately smoked, maybe the volume (size) of the smoker determines the extended exposure of the cheese to the smoke?

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out how long to leave the cheese in smoke. My first attempt turned out pretty good using my kettle and 1 hour and 3 day rest. What kind of smoker are you using? I'm planning on using my drum this next time with the pellet sitting on the diffuser rack this next time and the cheese about 8 " above. Vents will be wide open to start and then adjust, I guess... ?

I also wonder if the difference is that the pellets produce more clean blue smoke. From what I saw when I did the charcoal method, there was a lot of bad smoke, but maybe I wasn't doing it right. The 1 to 2 week rest periods that people recommend seems to indicate bad smoke to me. I don't know. Hopefully, I can find some vacation time to do some experimentation of my own.

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out how long to leave the cheese in smoke. My first attempt turned out pretty good using my kettle and 1 hour and 3 day rest. What kind of smoker are you using? I'm planning on using my drum this next time with the pellet sitting on the diffuser rack this next time and the cheese about 8 " above. Vents will be wide open to start and then adjust, I guess... ?

I just put mine where the charcoal tray sits and the smoke travels around my diffuser plates and gets distributed equally. I actually leave my vents right where they are set, but if there is high winds that day I tape off the exhaust vent to 50%.

I also wonder if the difference is that the pellets produce more clean blue smoke. From what I saw when I did the charcoal method, there was a lot of bad smoke, but maybe I wasn't doing it right. The 1 to 2 week rest periods that people recommend seems to indicate bad smoke to me. I don't know. Hopefully, I can find some vacation time to do some experimentation of my own.

Experimentation is the fun part to fine tune your methods..

exactly what is the difference between the pellet and the dust or chunk version. Am I missing something here?/

The pellet version is larger to allow a longer burn with the pellets and it looks like it has wider dividers between the rows, but it will also burn sawdust as well according to "A-maze-N".

Back