Rotisserie vs Offset Smoker?

Mrdeville

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello. I am in the market for a new smoker. I want either a offset smoker or a rotisserie smoker. Is there any difference in how your food comes out with the offset compared to a rotisserie smoker? Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Dont think I would say there is a "difference" in how the food turns out but there is a difference in the way they cook. The logic behind a rotisserie is that with the meat moving it is not affected by hot or cold spots in the cooker. With an offset you may need to take this into accouint and move your meat around.

Would have to agree that the rotisserie movement might balance out the temp differences in the cook chamber, so that could be a plus. Something to consider though would be the extra cleaning and maintenance that comes with all those moving parts.

I seem to recall seeing offsets with rotisseries in them, sort of like JR Oylers. The offset is to the back of the cooking chamber.

A quick check, and yes, at least one unit, the American BBQ Systems is out there. I remember seeing one of these in action a couple of years ago and it was a solid cooker and those folks cooked up some good meats.

Would have to agree that the rotisserie movement might balance out the temp differences in the cook chamber, so that could be a plus. Something to consider though would be the extra cleaning and maintenance that comes with all those moving parts.

cleaning and extra moving parts? How about all the moving around you have to do with your product in a offset? If you are cooking for a volume and have limited help....before you purchase anything find someone who is doing what you want to do and personaly talk to them.. what would extra cleaning involve? Racks are racks..some racks are nicer than others...

The rotisserie action also helps the meat self-baste while turning in the pit.

My feeling is that there will not be much difference in taste. What will affect the taste is your fuel source. Gas with some wood, charcoal and wood, electric and wood, all wood will each give you a different taste. You have to decide on your fuel source before you can decide on the type of cooker you will be using.

The rotisserie action also helps the meat self-baste while turning in the pit.
not really...rotisserie has the meat laying on trays, not like a george foreman or ronco cooker, or like a whole hawg rotisserie which revolves from the center.

not really...rotisserie has the meat laying on trays, not like a george foreman or ronco cooker, or like a whole hawg rotisserie which revolves from the center.

The rotisserie I've dealt with has expanded metal shelves allowing the juices to drop down onto the other meats below.

I can see this not happening if the meat was placed in trays.

Rotisserie, is the best way to cook, self basting (center rotation) or using another's juice to baste...but just the unifomity of the heat patterns...and BBQ Bubba those are some nice wide racks you have there!! Is that a 1,200?

Back