• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Building a brick smoker

txdavid

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I am going to build myself a brick smoker. I have only every used offset smokers though I know the die hards thing vertical is the only way. Not sure why though. I wanted to build a brick one but not have to shovel coals. Basically just throw wood logs into the firebox and let it go. Thats how I used my offset till I wore it out. As long as the temperature is correct. Anyways I have made the attached rough draft for plans.

It will be an offset smoker with an attached grill area. The space on the bottom under the grill will be wood storage. I dont want to spend a ton of time and money if this will not work as I hope. So does anyone see any flaws with the design. I have never really seen a offset brick smoker so thats why I worried is it just a bad idea?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,000
I've wanted to do something like that for years. One day maybe. If it doesn't work well at least it will look impressive but I've seen some brick smokers and they worked but were vertical/direct heat.

Do you think that it won't get hot enough with indirect heat?

Assuming that you will put a door on the fire chamber, and add a adjustable vent to the door, and balance the exhaust to the intake, it all should work.

Go for it and show us the build & Q that comes out. Looks like a solid concept, especially with a firebox door and draft control.

Yes both firebox and cook chamber will have cast iron doors with a vent on the firebox one. What do you mean balance the exhaust though?

Yo dave. That looks great. If it was me I would run a diffuser/diverter plate about 1/3rd the way across the bottom of the smokebox to ensure the smoke n heat cover the box evenly not just roll up the closest side creating hot spots. I dont have one in my current verticle offset stickburner and its a PITA moving things around to prevent burning on the side closest to the firebox. Hopefully I've explained it OK.

I think he means you need to have an equal amount/size of exhaust as compared to air intake. That way you can exhaust the same amount of heat as let in with the air intake. It will help to hold steady temperature.

I have a vertical smoker and I have the same vent on the bottom for the air intake as I do on the top for exhaust. It makes it real easy to hold a steady temperature.

Do a quick Google images search, there are a ton of brick offsets there to give you some ideas (some really nice ones at that).

I chose to go vertical and will be utilizing the concept my WFO is built on.
Going vertical for me was as much about the floor plan as staying traditional.

attachment.php

I am curious to see what others have to offer on your build.
Either way, keep us posted!

As a 18 yr bricklayer, i'll be watching this one. Only thing I might could think of is with indirect the way you're doing it,you may need to use more fuel. Brick is going to wanting to absorb that heat,so may take more fuel to get to temp vs a direct approach.

so heres an updated plan. Obviously I got sick of clicking and did not finish the outside layer of bricks. Firebricks are going to go in the firebox and grill portion. A door on the firebox and then two for the cook chamber. The lower grate in the cook chamber is a diffuser plate to spread the smoke out and will also have a water pan on it. The other two upper grates are for food. I have a lame ass HOA so I will be submitting this for permission to begin the build. I hope to break ground in a month and will let you know how it goes. I hope it goes well. I have no experience laying bricks of any kind so I will let you know what I learn. I also hope that the design will be functional and work well. So if you have any recommendations please let me hear them as all I know if what I have read on the internet. Anyone else's experience would be greatly welcomed.

Attachments

• smoker2.jpg
    smoker2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 739
I would move the grill part over to the right next to the smoker side. If you did that you could potentially use the same fire for either smoking or grilling and have the option to grill direct and indirect . I built mime that way and have a door on the bottom to shut the smoker side off when grilling. Pm me your email and j can send yo a ton a pictures of my build maybe that could help.

I thought of that but want the option to use the grill and the smoker At the exact same time which is why I split it up. This way I can cook beans or apitizers while smoking.

Pm sent

Last edited:
Dave. That looks awesome ,good idea to have holes in the diffuser plate. Git R Dun then invite the HOA over to taste and give approval. Dam glad we dont have any of this HOA bull dust over here.

Titos, would love to see your build. Perhaps a new thread-sure others would also like to see!
Just looking for ideas for mine. See build link below..
@txdavid-looking pretty cool, solid works?

Back