• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Amadillo Eggs

B

bbqpigskin

I have only been a member for about a month and a half and have seen quite a few posts and pictures of Armadllo Eggs. I would love to try and make these babies. Would anyone be willing to share a simple recipe or instructions on how to make them? I'd appreciate it. They look delicious!

Thanks,
Mike

Pick for favorite sausage fatty... ( we have a local sausage made in our price chopper that I love, but jimmy dean works!) THEN you find the prego Armadillo...

bbqpigskin said:
I have only been a member for about a month and a half and have seen quite a few posts and pictures of Armadllo Eggs. I would love to try and make these babies. Would anyone be willing to share a simple recipe or instructions on how to make them? I'd appreciate it. They look delicious!

Thanks,
Mike

This is mine (and it's very simple.)

Ingredients:

Fresh Jalapenos (as many as you need - 1 per "egg")
8 oz. Cream Cheese (this will be enough for at least 2 dozen "eggs")
Yellow food coloring
Your favorite uncooked sausage (I recently used bratwurst)
A bit of your favorite rub

Cut off the end of the jalapenos and seed and devien them. Set aside.

Place the cream cheese in a bowl and soften, then mix 1 cap full of the yellow food coloring and blend with the cream cheese until all of it has a consistent yellow color.

Pipe the now yellow cream cheese into the jalapenos until they are full.

Make some 1/4" to 1/2" thick sausage patties and wrap them around the jalapeno (pinch the edges and ends together to seal.) Now shape them into an "egg".

Throw 'em on the smoker for 1 1/2 hours at 210-220 and TA-DA! Armadillo eggs!

Slice them like a hard-boiled egg (about 1/2"-1" thick) so your guests can see the "shell" (the sausage), the "egg" (the jalapeno) and the "yolk" (the yellow cream cheese.)
I found the recipe in "Smoke and Spice."

Enjoy!

Ken (wow...my first recipe contribution to the Brethren...I almost feel like a Brethren myself!):roll:

Last edited:
jgh1204 said:
First, find a pregnant Armadillo.

But not a pregnant Giant Armadillo. Those will drink all your Lone Star Beer.

racer_81 said:
But not a pregnant Giant Armadillo. Those will drink all your Lone Star Beer.

I know about thwe Armadillo! i know about the Armadillo!

I use shredded pepper jack cheese for the filling. Just a personal preference.

OK..I'm in California, so an Armadillo, much less a pregnant Armadillo will be pretty farkin hard to find! There are a couple of fat odd looking dogs with excema down the road that might work...I don't know!

Seriously, thanks for the recipies. I'll try em out.

Mike

Bigmista said:
I know about thwe Armadillo! i know about the Armadillo!

Apparently only the two of us know, Bigmista.

What's the world coming to?

<sigh>

racer_81 said:
Apparently only the two of us know, Bigmista.

What's the world coming to?

<sigh>

I bought some bait to put in the chili the other day:cool:

Here's a pic of armadillo egg prep...

egg_roll.jpg

BBQchef - can we add this thread to the roadmap? I was looking for info on Armadillo Eggs m'self, and had to search to find this thread. Just a thought.

capnamerca said:
BBQchef - can we add this thread to the roadmap? I was looking for info on Armadillo Eggs m'self, and had to search to find this thread. Just a thought.

Done.

Good Idea!

TIM

capnamerca said:
Capn

A quick way to get something added to roadmap is:

Find the thread you want to add
Copy the URL of the first page of that thread
From the main forum page, look for a name of "Who's Online" that is listed in Green (Solidkick, TommyKendall, Parrothead, BRDbbq, etc)

Send one of them a Private Message with the URL pasted in it, with the request to add in Roadmap under "subject"

BBQChef will add it, but his moderators can also help out, sometimes a bit faster since Phil is a bit busy lately

Edit. See Kapn was already on it.

This note is just for general info for all

Made some armadillo eggs today a little differently. Jimmy Dean sausage has gotten kind of expensive lately so I used ground pork. Pressed it out flat and seasoned with Tony C's. Rolled it up around pepper jack stuffed japs. Good eats. Made a fatty similar. Pressed 2# of ground pork out, seasoned with a sweet rub and stuffed with bell peppers,pepperoncini,green olives,garlic and onion. The ground pork doesn't want to hold its shape very well so I rolled everything up in wax paper and refrigerated overnight. That worked real well. This was a fun experiment. Gonna do some more with different seasonings. Maybe adobo or Old Bay. It never gets boring if you like to try new things.

Attachments

• Fatty and egg.JPG
    Fatty and egg.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Back