• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone tried this with chicken skin?

altomari8868

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I am thinking of the 10 past practice chicken runs and skin. I have an offset and was wondering if anyone has ever used a hambuger basket at the end of the smoke to get the chicken down nice and close to the embers in the fire box. My thought was, I could easily keep turning it and wondered if it helps with the rubbery skin... I tried a quick search and did not see the topic.... Just a thought, I was hoping someone else may have had some luck with it...
Thanks all...

Lots of teams use a basket for cooking chicken. It makes it easier to turn the pieces.

I've found that if you want crispy skin, don't sauce. I've tried various stuff to get crispy skin from spritzing with sugar water, dusting with corn starch, scraping inside of skin before cooking. All is lost when the sauce goes on. And I can't imagine turning contest chicken in without a finishing glaze of sauce!

I read rubbing with mayo will make skin crisp. I haven't tried it yet.

It will work, but you have to be very exact in how much you use. Too much or too little will not result in bite through skin. Sometimes it causes the skin to bubble as though it has been fried.

Why spend all that time to get crispy skin, then throw a hot piece of chicken in a closed styrofoam container? You know what happens? Steam.... somethings are not attainable no matter how hard you try.

Do your practice cooks and throw your chicken in a turn in box and leave for 15 minutes and check the skin....

I shoot for flavor first...if the skin is bite thru that's a bonus...:becky: Lots of techniques out there...I think Jumpin' Jim's is what most folks use...or a derivation of it...good luck! :p

I've found 2 pretty much foolproof ways to get bite thru skin.
1. scrape the skin. if you get the fat out of there, the skin is so thin it can't help but be bite thru.. it's normally almost see thru.
2. some sort of braise. I' ve used the Jack's old South and the Jumpin Jim's method. The skin won't be crispy, but by sitting in liquid for a decent amount of time, it will be nice and soft and bite thru.

Those being said....as previously stated... taste is king

Crispy chicken skin is a direct result of cooking temps poaching the skin the subcutaneous fat. If you're not cooking at 350+ you're going to have to resort to all sorts of tricks to avoid that rubbery smoked chicken skin.

Leave the meat uncovered in the fridge for 6-8 hours prior to going on the smoker.

Brush the skin with melted butter

Consider working in at least 10-15 mins of high temps (350+) in your cooking process either by cranking the smoker and cutting back, or hitting them with higher indirect heat in the middle or at the end.

We generally don't compete in poultry (outside hot wings which are smoked/fried) so I can't speak to any specific method that yields perfect results.... only regurgitating what has worked decently for us in a casual environment as well as what i've read on various forums.

Back