• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker Build

im hoping to find a cheap used one, this is texas they are a dime a dozen around here :D

I wish they were a dime a dozen here too but unfortunatley people seem to think pretty highly of their utility trailers around here. For used trailers this size they're asking more than this was new, unless they're pure homemade junk... Oh well.... Cheers!!!

It got up to 50F on Sunday so I borrowed the charcoal basket from the UDS & gave the new smoker its first dry burn in. It hit 374F after about 2 hours wide open and unassisted. I shut it down & hooked up the Ique 110 temp controller and let it run @ 275F for the duration. After 6 hours about half of the ~7 lbs. of charcoal was still left. Knowing it can go to 374F unassisted in 50F weather is good I guess since it will run a lot cooler when it's loaded with meat, but it should be able to maintain 275F with no problem. The digital probe was in the middle of the 3rd from the top rack and the analog thermometer has a 4" stem and is located just under the 2nd from the top rack. Cheers!!!

FirstBurnIn03-03-2013_zps9e4ba30c.jpg

Charcoal Basket is done. 28"x28"x6". Should give me plenty of capacity for long cooks!

CharcoalBasket_zps294c3bcb.jpg

First Cook on the New Smoker

Here are a couple Pics of the first cook. 3 Butts over night @ 250F for ~12 hours with the Ique-110 Temp Controller and monitored with a Maverick ET-732. Slept all night without a worry... :thumb: It was in the 20's last night & right at 32F now..

Then loaded it up with a bunch of $.99 Country Style Ribs, a bunch of fresh Ham Hocks, 4 Beef Ribs (on the shelf above) and a couple Beef Hearts. These will cook @ 275F. Cheers!!!

FirstCookPic1_zpse5d83428.jpg

FirstCookPic4_zps14e78dea.jpg

Last edited:
Back