• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Here's the current state. Was having a really tough time using the weed burner inside the barrel. How does it look? Ready to clean out with some soap and water, then assemble?

Attachments

• 20160122_133626.jpg
    20160122_133626.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 699
  • 20160122_133616.jpg
    20160122_133616.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 699
Just a quick advice i got for guys wanting to grill on uds. For me it works a lot better if i put the basket on the floor instead of lifting it up higher closer to the grate. When I did that, meat was pretty much browned(burned) all over, but if i do the floor thing, i get a really nice grate charring, which i haven't been able to achieve with coals really close to the grate. I believe that is because too much oxygen gets to the coals and the heat is just overwhelming.

I'm in the process. Burned it once last summer, sand blasting for free this weekend. I cannot get all of the liner out. Also, where can I find a dome lid without having to buy a Weber. While I would love to have a Weber, both are not in the budget. I guess I could look at Walmart for some other cheap off brand. My flat lid is warped so I'm trying to figure out what it needs to work but it'd be nice to have both.

Dude, get another cheap drum, and use that as a lid. Check this out. Sometimes it won't seal properly, so if you use aluminum foil as a gasket, it's perfect.

Attachments

• 20160124_104320.jpg
    20160124_104320.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 602
  • 20160124_100825.jpg
    20160124_100825.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 604
  • 20160124_184505.jpg
    20160124_184505.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 602
I have a question about burning a barrel out.

I just acquired a drum with no liner that held oil or a petroleum product. Maybe motor oil. This barrel should be fairly safe to use after a good burning out....shouldn't it?

I live in town so I will most likely have to get to one of my friends farms to do this.

Can it be done with a lot of charcoal? or does it need to have plenty of flames? I'm guessing after a good cleaning I should probably just load it up half full or more with firewood and light em up!

I should probably have all the vent holes drilled beforehand to help out the fire.

Does this type of barrel sound safe enough to use and the method of burning out good enough?

I also have a 50,000 BTU weedburner that I could use. Would this do just as good of a job, but much easier?

Drill your vents and use wood pallets or the weed burner to burn out. Was it a petroleum products or food grade oil? I've been finding coconut oil barrels lately which have no liner and approximately a half gallon of oil in them as a bonus.

Mine was a motor oil drum from a motorcycle dealership. I cleaned the oil out really well and then washed the inside at the car wash. A good burn with pallet wood and another thorough cleaning and it was good to go. Good luck with your build.

I am almost done with my build, layed out, burned out, all parts purchases... here is my question. My 22.5 weber lid is a tad too small. I saw the adding steel strip mod but I was thinking of grinding off a little steel off the top of barrel where the fold is all the way around. what are your thoughts?

QUESTION.
My uds has been running really high (temp wise) lately, Don't know if I'm starting to much coal or what.

any help on how many coals to start?

thanks

Please could someone tell me if this expanded metal is to fine mesh for a charcoal basket?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Perforated-Steel-Stretched-Metal-Sheet-600-x-1000mm/p/116708
its 16mm x 8mm holes and i am hoping to use it for the base of the basket.
I can notch our some sections to allow ash to fall through if necessary i guess?

As many of my UK brethren have found already expanded metal is not easy to get hold of here!

It 'might" be too small for the bottom as far as ash. It should be fine for the sides of the basket though. I used a round charcoal grate from an old ECB for the bottom of mine.

Attachments

• image9.jpg
    image9.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 771
Keep working

I made my smoker from a similar drum. It was funky burning off the liner and I took a metal wheel sander to the inside and did a few extra burns just to be safe. The finished product was worth it. The que I've been putting out on the table has been awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 746
I've noticed some of the uds smokers have long air inlet pipes on the sides. Does this make a difference in airflow or is it personal preference?

I've noticed some of the uds smokers have long air inlet pipes on the sides. Does this make a difference in airflow or is it personal preference?
I think it's just personal preference. You don't have to bend down towards the bottom of a warm barrel that way.

I have a question about heat diffusers if there are others out there that have done the same.

I prefer to have a more even temp in my UDS, so I purchased a pizza pan and use that on another grate about a foot above the coals.

Should I just leave the pan as is, or drill some holes in it to promote airflow? If so, how many, and what size holes would work best?

Easter 2 days away got 4 full pork ribs ready for the UDS low and slow not sure 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 but can always adjust seen tooooo many post on here with droooooling PRON just lookin for basic cook maybe 2 rack with BBQ sauce on gas burner to caramelize
any comments

It is personal, but it does reduce the amount of air flow which equals available temps.

Easter 2 days away got 4 full pork ribs ready for the UDS low and slow not sure 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 but can always adjust seen tooooo many post on here with droooooling PRON just lookin for basic cook maybe 2 rack with BBQ sauce on gas burner to caramelize
any comments
How many cooking grates do you have? If only one grate, roll the ribs into coils using skewers to hold the shape and keep air between each coil. If that makes sense.

Back