• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Meat grinder question

You can also get this one from amazon that attaches to the KA..
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SM-MG-Meat-Grinder-Attachment-Stand/dp/B000MTIJGG/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&srs=2587949011&ie=UTF8&qid=1364418403&sr=1-9&keywords=cuisinart+grinder"]Amazon.com: Cuisinart SM-MG Meat-Grinder Attachment for Cuisinart Stand Mixer, White: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I have one of the $99 Northern Tool grinders, and it is all you need for most uses. It grinds a lot more meat a whole lot faster than the KA attachment. I've used mine hard for over five years now. I grind a lot of deer and wild hog meat every year as well as store-bought meat. I can grind the neck, shoulders, and all the trimmings from a deer in less than ten minutes. I've never had any problems with mine in over five years. I know quite a few other people who have them and love them. If I was planning on grinding hundreds of pounds of meat on a weekly basis, I would probably spring for a commercial grinder, but otherwise, I don't see why you need one.

I just ordered a chef's choice grinder for my Kitchenaid. It is about $140 but uses my 525 Watt Kitchenaid motor and is made of stainless and aluminum. Overall it has solid reviews, I'll chime back in when I give it a run. this way I dont have to stor yet another motor unit.

I've got an LEM #8 and have had it for about 5 years now. I grind about 300 pounds of meat on it a year and have never had a problem. I grind pretty heavy in fall because I make summer sausage and sticks for people when they get their deer, antelope, elk, bear, etc. Best advice is stick with a name brand and get the best one you can for the money. Grind speeds vary by brand and suck you in because one is faster than the other, but a lot of times their are grinding chicken or something easy to cut through. LEM's ratings are accurate for those tough game meats and beef. The Cabela's grinders I believe are made by LEM but you aren't saving anything bying the Cabela's name.

Whatever you choose, give us a review after your purchase. I'm sure a lot of guys (like me) will grind as often as you. I also find my kitchenaid grinder attachment somewhat lacking...not with a failed bearing yet, but I'm sure that's coming.

Also keep in mind that if you do not need a grinder right now, both LEM and Weston have open box / return models for an extreme discounts with full warranty as fall approaches.

I saved $200.00 on my #12 Commercial Series and I also got free shipping..

#8 LEM model here. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. I do 3-5 deer annually and breakfast sausage and axis burger in between. It chomps frozen cubed meat very well, replacement parts are easy to find, and you'll never need to buy another one.

Make the investment and you'll use it more often.

I emailed my wife the link to Academy. It is just so much cheaper than anywhere else right now. Looks like a great deal.

Im looking at this one,

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/STX-TURBOFORCE-3000-SERIES-ATTACHEMENT/dp/B0012KJBR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364553318&sr=8-1&keywords=stx+grinder"]Amazon.com: "STX TURBOFORCE 3000 SERIES" - 3 SPEED - 3000 WATT PEAK OUTPUT POWER - ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER - 3 "STAINLESS STEEL" CUTTING BLADES - 3 "TEMPERED STEEL" GRINDING PLATES - KUBBE/KIBBE ATTACHEMENT & A SET OF 3 SIZES OF SAUSAGE STUFFING TUBES!!!: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Going to be ordering a grinder myself... best price I found so far is here:

www.academy.com

Jeff

Grinders

Wow I am scratching my head over this deal. The #8 LEM with .35 h.p. motor is $249.00 and the #8 with .77 h.p. is $99.00. I realize the more expensive unit has a stainless steel head and the cheaper is die cast aluminum. 2 year warranty on the more expensive unit and 1 year on the other. But the cheaper is twice the h.p. Thier must be something I am missing:confused:

Yeah. That is exactly the problem when shopping for these things. I think there is a lot more to it. Probably differences in metal gears or plastic gears. Maybe it is a difference between Peak hp and continuous hp. I've found with items like these, you just can't rely on the specs.

I think I will be ordering the #5 from Academy. I got that link from an Amazon review :shock:.

Jeff

Grinders

Wow I am scratching my head over this deal. The #8 LEM with .35 h.p. motor is $249.00 and the #8 with .77 h.p. is $99.00. I realize the more expensive unit has a stainless steel head and the cheaper is die cast aluminum. 2 year warranty on the more expensive unit and 1 year on the other. But the cheaper is twice the h.p. Thier must be something I am missing:confused:

The main difference isn't just the aluminum / stainless construction, but size and design as well. The more expensive unit is heavy duty and weighs almost twice as much.

According to reviews the cheaper one has plastic gears, while the heavy duty has metal gears.. Review

I do not know as I do not have the cheaper model. Personally I would spend the extra for the heavy duty model.

Grinders

I have the cheaper LEM and love it. The body isn't stainless, but I have not found that to be an issue. The most I have ground is 10 lb at any one time and that has been effortless. You can get up to 1/2" plate size and two grades of stainless ones if you want.

I have only used it since Christmas so have no long term experience with it.

Last edited:
Yeah. That is exactly the problem when shopping for these things. I think there is a lot more to it. Probably differences in metal gears or plastic gears. Maybe it is a difference between Peak hp and continuous hp. I've found with items like these, you just can't rely on the specs.

The main difference isn't just the aluminum / stainless construction, but size and design as well. The more expensive unit is heavy duty and weighs almost twice as much.

According to reviews the cheaper one has plastic gears, while the heavy duty has metal gears.. Review

I do not know as I do not have the cheaper model. Personally I would spend the extra for the heavy duty model.

I have the cheaper LEM and love it. The body isn't stainless, but I have not found that to be an issue. The most I have ground is 10 lb at any one time and that has been effortless. You can get up to 1/2" plate size and two grades of stainless ones if you want.

I have only used it since Christmas so have no long term experience with it.

Thanks guys I knew I was missing something.

Update:
LEM #8 3/8hp Big Bite Grinder is in the house! This thing is a beast! I'm in awe of the size and heft of this monster. It makes the KitchenAid mixer and grinder attachment look like a toy. It is definitely heavy duty. I did not expect it to be this big and heavy. I'm not sure where I'm going to store it. :shock:

With having only assembled it and plugged it in, I'm very happy I stepped up to the LEM Big Bite. I see this thing just going and going. But, I'm guessing I could have been very happy with the slightly less expensive LEM #5.

I'll probably pick up a couple butts next weekend for some sausage. I'll provide a full update then.

Back