Can I use a BWS Party to smoke sausage?

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have used my BWS Party to cold smoke bacon. I used an A-Maze-N smoke tray and was able to keep the temp around 85F.

However, for sausage, I know I need to start around 130F and ramp up the temp gradually. Has anyone used a BWS or similar smoker successfully for sausage? My thought was to use a few briquettes to create the heat, but I'm not sure how well I will be able to control the temp.

I also have a vertical propane smoker that I could probably manage the temps better and use the smoke generator tray. Would that be a better option?

I did some in my Chubby, and they turned out fine, but it's better to find some way to have them hanging. I did them on the grates and didn't really like the grill marks. It was by no means a disaster, but it's just better IMO to hang them to cook.

As for temp control, it's pretty much about what you're comfortable with. Maybe do one batch one way and another batch the other way and see what works best for you.

I did some in my Chubby, and they turned out fine, but it's better to find some way to have them hanging. I did them on the grates and didn't really like the grill marks. It was by no means a disaster, but it's just better IMO to hang them to cook.

As for temp control, it's pretty much about what you're comfortable with. Maybe do one batch one way and another batch the other way and see what works best for you.

That's a good idea to try both ways. I have a feeling the propane smoker will be easier to control, but damn, I hate to resort to propane instead of my Party. I was going to rig up a hangar for the sausage.

Back